Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Unhappy ....... i think he's sick.

Finley has been acting very lethargic these past few days. At first I thought he may just be extremely bored, but now when I walk up to the tank he hardly moves. He's been sitting in the same place for hours now, and that's very un-Finleylike. He's a bit bloated (he eats flakes and they make him blow up like a balloon, but i can't get him to eat anything else X_X). But this time, his belly is a bit grey. He's just not acting like he feels well. I changed his water 100% three to four days ago, and he's due for his 50% today.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? mid seventies.
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no (since its summer, the house is consistently about 80 degrees)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Buffet Flakes, and occasional bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every evening.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 50% and one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His belly is a bit grey, and he's bloated. He may even be a bit pale.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's very lethargic, he's been laying on the same plant all day.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I added a little bettafix to the water after i did his 100% water change ( he had a torn fin) but other than that I haven't started anything.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's never been sick.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for a year, and I'd say he's about 1 1/2 years old.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Oops, i forgot to ask! What do you think could be wrong with him? His symptoms are kind of general so I'm having a hard time pinning down a diagnosis =/

I have Bettafix, epsom salts, and Maracyn II on hand. If there's anything else I need to get for him I can get out to Petsmart tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

I'm sorry Finley doesn't feel too great. It sounds like husbandry isn't the problem since you take great care of him. The only thing I'd change is it's better to feed in the morning if he has bloating issues since their digestive systems slow down at night but that shouldn't cause this...

Stop the Bettafix, it is actually harmful to bettas and other labyrinth fish. Why they market it for bettas I have no idea... Start him on 1tsp/gal Epsom Salt. If you have tannins, IAL, or decaffeinated tea bags, one of those would help. I am a bit concerned about his gray belly (classic symptom of Dropsy) but I don't think you should jump to meds yet... Is he swollen at all? Are his scales raised? Does he still have a good appetite? Is he clamped or just lethargic? You already have Maracyn II which is great. It is great for treating Dropsy if it develops.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

Thank you so much for the response!! I didn't know that its better to feed them in the morning, that's great to know!! I'll switch his feeding time to the mornings from now on!
He hasn't had any more bettafix for days now, so no worries there!
Do you think I should quarantine him in a smaller container?
I don't have any tannins right now, but I am going out tomorrow so I may be able to pick up some decaf green tea. I'll also pick up the anti-parasite pellets, i've heard good things about those!
His belly is swollen like he's bloated, and now that i've looked at him a bit closer it looks like his eyes may be slighlty swollen. But its hard to tell, he's always been kind of bug-eyed. I don't see any raised scales. His appetite has been normal so far.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

Forgot to add that he isn't clamped yet, but he's not flaring at all and that's not normal for him. The lethargy is very alarming, as he's alwasy been my most active fish.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

No problem at all. As far as feeding goes, I find that it is better to feed in the morning so they have energy throughout the day and that way they can "swim it off" if they do have bloating issues. You want to keep their metabolism going.

If his eyes are swollen too then definitely keep an eye on him. You don't have to QT him since a 2.5 gal is easy enough to keep clean. If he does develop dropsy then it would be easier to QT him so you can do the daily cleanings. For now, add the Epsom to relieve swelling. You can offer him the Anti-Parasite pellets as a precaution; they treat internal bacterial infections and internal parasites. If he does have the start of a bacterial infection that should stop it so you won't have to use a water treatment. It won't harm him to give him those either. Just think of it as his yearly deworming lol we do it with cats and dogs all the time...

About the pellets, they don't taste good. Most owners can't get their fish to eat them. You can soak them in garlic juice or thawed out frozen bloodworms to make them taste better. It also helps to break them into smaller pieces using a spoon or blade of a knife. Give him 2 pellets (if possible) every day for 14 days.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

Thank you so much for your help!!!! For the garlic juice, do I have to use fresh garlic or can I use dried garlic/garlic powder of some sort mixed with water????
Old 07-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

I think fresh garlic juice or something similar would work best but I suppose dried garlic would work as well if you mix it in water and let it sit out for awhile... Does your local grocery sell any sort of pure garlic juice/mash or extract? It might be cheapest to just buy a fresh bunch of garlic...

Garlic has a number of anti-bacterial/parasitic side effects so it in itself will help him.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

I asked about dried garlic since i wasn't sure we had any fresh in our house but I just found a jar of pre-minced garlic in our fridge!!!!! Yay!!!! =D Thanks again for your help!!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

Awesome, I have a jar of that stuff too lol makes cooking and treating fish sooo much easier. Good luck and definitely keep us posted!