Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #1 
octuppy

More Problems....

I think I've gotten in over my head with the betta I rescued. Today he seems to have what looks like a tiny sore or wound on his face. I can't tell, he has some kind of weird nature coloring so it may just look like that. His tail seems to be getting thin in other spots and I'm afraid it will split further. There were a few odd string things in the water in his tank, I don't know what it could be. I have been changing the water completely every day. Right now I put him back in the little jar I originally had him in. All I could think to do to sterilize the tank was to fill it up and dump in a bunch of aquarium salt and let it set. Sometimes I feel like I am just making it worse for him due to my ineptitude. I have a terrible time catching him in the net, it scares him really bad. I measure the amounts of salt and stress coat I was told for the water bottles but I'm not 100% certain I get the right amount. His water didn't feel too hot today but there is will be 90+ temps all week here and no AC so I'm afraid he'll get too hot. I don't have money to buy him anything, I live in this tiny little town with one overpriced pet store that doesn't sell much. I don't want to hurt him, I just wanted him to have a better life, I'm really confused and sad about what to do. Its not like he's immediately dying or anything, I think if I was more competent I could save him. He eats, swims around enough I can't get pictures of him because he won't hold still. I'll try to get some detailed pics of what is going on if I can, it might be easier in the small container. Thanks.
octuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #2 
octuppy

I forgot again.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1gal, half full
What temperature is your tank? Don't know
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bettamin
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat, aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Maybe has sore/wound on face, tail split up, other parts of tail look thin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He acts okay actually
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Problems since I got him, getting worse
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just the salt/stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Skinny, tail problem, sore
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea
Old 07-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

How much salt are you using and anyway you can get a water temp.....do you have any oak trees near by that you can collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #4 
octuppy

I was told in the other thread to use 1 tsp salt for a gallon of water so I am adding that to the water jugs with 8 drops Aquasafe like the company website says and about half a tsp of stress coat since that was the best measure I could find and don't want to put too much. We have a tree out back but I've always been told its a maple. I'm not sure I could correctly identify an oak if there was one around. I can't get a water temp, I will buy a thermometer as soon as I have some money. That shouldn't be too long. Should I get the kind that suction cups to the side of the tank or the little strip that sticks on. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If this is an open wound on his face....I would get the salt up to 3tsp/gal and the temp low in the 75-76F range....since it could be Flexibacter columnaris....sadly, if it is the fast moving type it can be fatal within 12-24h, if the slower moving type the fish can recover......google oak trees...the leaves are pretty easy to ID and the added tannins can help along with antibacterial/fungal properties....if you find some use 10-12 crushed/gallon in your pre-mixed jug of dechlorinated treatment water used for the 100% daily water changes while in QT.....

Keep us posted......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #6 
octuppy

Thanks, I'm not sure its a sore actually, it just looks like a red place, not very big or raw/infected looking. Its hard to get a good look at him, he doesn't act sick or anything. I'm worried about the temp of the tank but how can I cool it off?