Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #1 
Persica

The best betta food?

I was just wondering what the best food to keep my boy his healthiest would be. I have him on flakes and pellets from Petsmart. They're just sort of blah, according to what other members here have said. So what foods would be healthiest for my betta? Also, I have Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms for a treat.

Edit: Also, the best water conditioner?

Last edited by Persica; 07-17-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I think in terms of pelllets or flakes, New Life Spectrum is probably one of the best. Omega One is also fairly good, although it does have a reasonably high fat content.

Other good foods are frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and bloodworms. I tend to use frozen as a staple, and then supplement with pellets to ensure their diet is more nutritionally balanced.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #3 
TexasCichlid

I'm a fan of NLS products from my Cichlid days, however, I saw a few reviews saying NLS Betta pellets sink too quickly. I use Omega One Betta Buffet and they do a good job floating while they get played with. As far as water conditioner, I have and always will use SeaChem Prime. Terrific stuff.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I'm a fan of NLS products from my Cichlid days, however, I saw a few reviews saying NLS Betta pellets sink too quickly. I use Omega One Betta Buffet and they do a good job floating while they get played with. As far as water conditioner, I have and always will use SeaChem Prime. Terrific stuff.
I use NLS products for ALL my fish - LOVE the stuff!!! For my bettas, I use the New Life Spectrum Growth Formula - 50% protein, 9% fat. I like it better than their Betta Formula since it has higher protein and the pellets are smaller - TINY, really - no fish has any trouble eating them. Not even guppy fry!!!

And because the pellets in the Growth Formula ARE so small, they float a LOT longer.

Yup - Prime here also. BEST on the market, IMO/E!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use NLS betta formula and the only thing I don't like is that they sink and my fish just sit there and watch it go down. I also use Omega One betta buffet pellets and Aqueon pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I use NLS betta formula and the only thing I don't like is that they sink and my fish just sit there and watch it go down. I also use Omega One betta buffet pellets and Aqueon pellets.
If you switch to the Growth Formula you will find they float a LOT better since they are so small. Also, they have a higher protein content (50%).
Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #7 
hodgepodgen

I would say frozen blood worms or brine shrimp.

Or if you don't want to deal with frozen food these are great. They have them at PetSmart.

http://www.amazon.com/ReptoTreat-Del...441871&sr=8-14
hodgepodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
If you switch to the Growth Formula you will find they float a LOT better since they are so small. Also, they have a higher protein content (50%).
It's ok to feed it to adults?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
It's ok to feed it to adults?
I have been for a year now without any problem.

I don't care for their Betta Formula because it has less than 40% protein, it's twice as big as the Growth Formula and it sinks too fast, IMO.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe I'll try it the next time I need to order food.