Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 
bahamut285

Miracle Cycle? :V

Hey guys so I was doing Redbeard's first waterchange today since I purchased him yesterday (I am doing fish-in cycle because it was surprise for brother).

As-per-usual, I tested the water before changing it...and...uhh...to my surprise, my readings are:

Ammonia: 0ppm-0.25ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5.0ppm-10ppm <-- WHAT

I tested it three times, rinsed the vials very well (and rotated use) each time. Got the same thing X_X. I even tested plain tap water to see if my nitrate indicator went wonky, but nope.

How I set it up:
- Add water (lol)
- Two cleaned and post QT Water Wisteria plopped into the background near the light
- Added dechlorinator
- Added "Nutrafin Cycle Starter"
- Moved Alfred (my moss ball) from established tank

I always thought that those "Cycle Starter" chemicals are gimmicks but...HOW? The tank even smells like it's supposed to smell, it's also already nice and humid, too. Is it the plants? I've never had plants before. Was it maybe Alfred harbouring bacterial citizens?

I'll test again tomorrow to see what's up X_X
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #2 
Sakura8

This happened to someone else on here a month or so ago. It was a mystery how it happened then and it's still a mystery now. Maybe you have some ammonia in your tap water that the starter bacteria are feeding on? Or maybe Alfred IS harboring bacteria. There's a lot of surface on/in a moss ball for some to hide, I guess.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

The only thing I can think is the small amount of ammonia was from your Betta, since you checked before changing water. The Nitrates could be high due to the product you put in, but doesn't mean your tank is cycled? I am starting to think those products have tons of Nitrates but they die off, as there are no Nitrites for them to feed off. Could explain why you add a bottle and have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and such high nitrates, which makes you think you're cycled?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Good point, Pitluvs. That is very possible.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

I do have to say adding the moss ball is A+! I usually take stuff from each of my tanks for a new one to help boost the cycle lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #6 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
The only thing I can think is the small amount of ammonia was from your Betta, since you checked before changing water. The Nitrates could be high due to the product you put in, but doesn't mean your tank is cycled? I am starting to think those products have tons of Nitrates but they die off, as there are no Nitrites for them to feed off. Could explain why you add a bottle and have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and such high nitrates, which makes you think you're cycled?
I don't think those products are nitrates, lol...what would be the point of adding a final product to the tank? Nothing will benefit from that. If anything I believe that these alleged cycle kits probably add ammonia or other beneficial ingredients that ammonia-eating bacteria to enjoy and move into your filter.

I checked after I did water change, the nitrates went down a little, as expected. I checked again today and the nitrates have again gone up, so it is coming from somewhere (I didn't add any more of the cycle stuff).

Today's readings:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

I wouldn't post this randomly unless I had something to back it up with...:S

I'll continue to check daily for changes. I am convinced Alfred has something to do with it, DAT SURFACE AREA
Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Yup. I blame Alfred. Maybe he's farting ammonia. Moss ball farting ammonia. Sorry, check here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....616#post739616
Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #8 
bahamut285

EDIT: Oh, I just re-read your post. You are confusing compounds and the names of the bacteria... lol, sorry I was confused

Nitrates don't "die off" LOL. Nitrates get produced when nitrobacter eat nitrites XD
Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #9 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Yup. I blame Alfred. Maybe he's farting ammonia. Moss ball farting ammonia. Sorry, check here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....616#post739616
LOL That's great
Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #10 
Sakura8

See what you're missing over on the other thread, Bahamut?