Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Is this tank suitable?

Just wondering...

We have a 45g long tank (12X48X19) that we picked up for free. We have been undecided on what to put in it. We have some time, but we tossed around Angel Fish/Rams/Rainbows... then putting our 29g crew in the tank to give them more room and back to just Rams in the tank.

But I'm thinking... would this be ok with a sorority? It would be filled with live plants, rock, driftwood and sand bottom. If so, how many females? I have others on my tropical forums with LOTS of females in these type of tanks. Not sure on what would be best. I plan on raising a spawn when I feel better with Bettas, so that's where I will get my females :) They are $10 each at out LPS O_o

Another question, would 6 Red Eyed Tetras go with these females? I have a crew in my 29g that needs to go in another tank.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

That tank would be fine for a sorority, but tetras (except neons in some instances) are a no-no. They are notorious fin nippers. Stick with the females, and maybe some Cories.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

Ahh we can't do a sorority then, the tetras go in the tank first :( Thanks :(

%^$^^*&%&&^!! haha
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Question... how many would go in a 29g tall tank? I could move my 29g crew over to the 45g (and add some danios, black neons, and harlequins) and put female bettas in the 29g.

Then I could add the appropriate amount of Corys too!

Can small plecos get along with Corys?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #5 
Nymmers

Tetra's are known for fin nipping, but I'm not sure how this would work out. Obviously they fin-nip longer finned fish, like angel fish and a male betta, but females have much shorter fins, and can swim faster. Sooo idk I'm no expert. lol.
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I usually know about tetras and fish that are nippers (like Danios!) but my Tetras are in a group of 6, and if they were in the 45g with bettas, there would be more. Usually nippy fish calm down when they are in appropriate groups for schooling. 10+ is usually a good bet to calm any bad behavior. BUT I could just put the whole 29G crew in the 45G and add a few more to the schools.

Either way, I am TRYING my hardest to get my sorority haha
Old 07-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #7 
Sweeda88

How big does the Pleco get? What kind is it? If it's a Chinese algae eater, they are NOT compatible with Bettas of any gender. But the 29gl would be plenty large enough for at least 10 females, plus a school of cories.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

The pleco is a Bristle Nose Pleco, 3-4" max. There will be two in there.

I have a Common Pleco that will go in the large tank, she'll be about 14" at max. She's about 6" now :)

Will Cory's and Plecos get along? I already HAVE these plecos, they need to be in the tank :)
Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

I don't know. You'd have to ask someone with more experience. Maybe you could ask on Tropicalfishkeeping? They're the main forum. Bettafish is only one of the branches.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

I'd rather find out if anyone on here kept them with plecos, I really don't want to start another forum lol I already have a local one for my tropicals. They all keep BNP's with their female bettas. I dunno!!

I'm at a toss up anyways. I don't know what I want. We're putting the 45g with the 29g crew in our bedroom... I have no idea what I want in the 29g. 10 females would costs me well over $100 locally for VT's of the same colors.