Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #21 
Gizmothefreaky

I got my last betta at Petsmart and he is perfectly healthy except for being blind... And they still gave him to me for free, but made me sign something saying that if he should die within the allotted days, that i could not come in and get another to replace him for free. I basicly adopted him. And he is just blind... I am sure if i found a sick one they would do the same thing... I dont understand why they would make you buy obviously sick fish... o.o
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #22 
Hinata

I've never been to a Petsmart, but I don't think I'll even visit one of their stores because of the terms. They want customers to store a dead fish (possibly diseased) in a fridge where people store their food? That's unhealthy and disgusting. I would be seriously offended if I was such a great customer to them and they told me to do so and said that they couldn't honor their terms because they needed the body as proof when they didn't even tell me that it was necessary. Shame on Petsmart for being so rude. If I was warned ahead of time that the body is necessary for proof of it's death then I wouldn't think of it this way because I would've known the body was needed and it'd be ridiculous to blame the store. If I threw out the body knowing then it's my loss.
Hinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #23 
Sakura8

Yeah, if they don't tell you about the whole body thing, then most people would immediately bury or dispose of the body as a way of closure etc. What are you supposed to do, dig the body back up?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #24 
Pataflafla

They would have though I killed him if I did bring the body. I smashed his head to make sure he was dead and there was no coming back. I have to do that with all of the fish that die in my or my sister's care because we want to make sure they aren't buried alive. That would be a horrible way to go.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #25 
Sakura8

You do the right thing, Pataflafla. Fish brains are very resistant to hypoxia, or oxygen starvation, meaning the brain can theoretically be "conscious" long after the rest of the body is dead. It's recommended to destroy the brain of all fish who die, although few of us, myself included, can actually bring themselves to do it.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #26 
Pataflafla

Unfortunately someone in my family has to do it, and neither my dad or mom are too interested in the fish we keep and it would be really strange to ask it of them. My sister cannot handle it, so I took it up. I'm really not too bothered by it because I know that they are already dead when the time comes. We always give them time to come back, but if it's not within 30 minutes we decide for them.

I've only had to do it twice now. My sister's first giant from Walmart was already long gone by the time we took her out of the tank and the green copper that passed tonight was given a few hours. She barely started pineconing. She had at least 2 hours and by the time I took her out she had already lost all color.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 AM   #27 
Sakura8

:( I'm sorry you lost the copper like that. It must have been an aggressive infection that got her.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #28 
Pataflafla

Yeah. The blue marble is still alive, but I don't think she's gonna make it too much longer. She doesn't really respond to anything and she's more pineconed than she was before we started treatment. We're going to try and get her to eat an anti-parasite pellet and hope it works. We're going to soak is in garlic first.

I thought the first giant got huge when she displayed dropsy, but the marble looks like she's going to get even bigger. I would take a picture but I don't want to startle her with a flash at all.

This was the first one we ever had that got dropsy. We started treatment too late.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #29 
Sakura8

Poor thing looks so miserable. That pineconing effect is so creepy, I hate it. It's bad enough they get so grossly fat but for the scales to go all weird is too much. I hope your marble passes quickly so she's not suffering.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #30 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
If petco only sold healthy fish they wouln't have ANY fish to sell.

Anyways, petco has the same policy. Its written on the back of the receipt - you need the body, receipt AND they are supposed to test the water that you kept the fish in. I have heard many people say if the water is not perfect they dont have to honor the agreement.
That's odd. When Kalona and Kaida died they didn't make us bring back their bodies. They said they believed us and just said to bring back a sample of Kaida's water.

His water was perfect and we got the 20 bucks back that we paid for both of them. I never bought another betta from them either.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote