Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #1031 
Sakura8

Aww, poor Electra. I can see the dent. That must've hurt! Boy, when Old Man is ready for love, he wants it right away. I'm glad she was able to keep eating through it all.

The babies are getting more and more beautiful. I can't believe they used to be eyeballs and a tail! Makes me wonder if any of those teeny fry pics you posted at the beginning were of Sharky or Miss Piggy or one of the babies now.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #1032 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
These are some of my males. Can you see how their lips are prominent and how they have more of a sloped head? Or is it just me and my imagination?

And here are two of my girls. To me, their lips aren't prominent and they have a smoother line from their back to their head. Also, they seem to have a different shape than males. They're narrower at the tail but deep-chested, whereas it seems the males are more rectangular.

WOW!! How observant of you! I looked at all of my pictures and it's true, the males have bigger more pronounced lips. Probably for blowing bubble nests I would assume. The females just have this streamlined mouth that you can barley see but then males have big fat lips LOL.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #1033 
Punki

Sakura i believe has found another way to sex bettas cause its completely true xD
The fry are 3 months 2 weeks old now. I have 3 males in there and 4 females. There is some minor nipping but adding a few more hiding spaces seems to have calmed them down. Sometimes ill watch a male and female do their showing off for each other without a nip if you know what i mean xD Miss piggy is eggy i believe, shes plumped up and her color has deepened to more of a red.
Yeah Electras poor lips, oldman is such a rough kisser =[ But she took it like a pro, figured she better stop messing around and get back to wrapping. It looked really bad that day, hanging a bit, but the following day itd already healed quite a bit, so im glad it stayed attached but i pity her "scar."
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #1034 
Sakura8

Thanks, guys. I just noticed it a while ago when I was feeding my bettas and I saw that all the guys looked lik they were puckering up to me and the girls didn't. So I started looking closer and noticed the differences in head shape, too.

Miss Piggy is eggy already? My my, she's growing up. I bet she'd be pretty all red but I like her as she is too.

It never fails to amaze me how fast betta fins and wounds heal.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #1035 
Arashi Takamine

I'm so glad to hear the babies are still doing well. It looks to me like the kids are turning into gorgeous crowntails.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #1036 
Punki

Yep, some have more of a droopy vt look with combtail tips but a couple can flare out a ct look in all its glory so far :)
Old 11-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #1037 
Punki

Sharky is my favorite lol, always resting on my hand and stuff during water changes. snapped a few pics.

Sharkys smile :)

:D
And the other kiddos

Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #1038 
Gloria

They dont seem to mind you putting your hand in there. How did you get them to be like that?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #1039 
Punki

When they were really little id always clean their water with my hand in there so they lost the fear (which made water changes harder!) and then id always dip food in on my fingers as well so they associated my hand with lots of good stuff lol. Plus i really enjoy sitting and watching and put my hand up to them often so they just have no fear. In my "minibook"(lol) i wrote for all the owners i give away to i wrote that they should try putting food on their finger too and so far even those ones are friendly. My husbands coworker that got one said "My goldfish are boring now, this betta jumps up and grabs food off my finger and rubs against me!" LOL! poor goldfish =x Ive got one jumper that likes to jump and literally sticks to the glass and slides back down when he gets excited. Its HILARIOUS!! They are like fishdogs :P
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #1040 
Gloria

lol.. Aww punki, you are so awsome.. You make me laugh.. Your babies are SO gorgeous, I still cannot believe how grow up they already are. You have to breed again, one day.. soon :)
I make sure I put my hand in the water when I siphon and I also sit and put my finger up to the glass, since im feeding BBS I dont stick it to my finger i use an eye dropper to put it in. maybe I should start using my figner :D
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote