Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #1201 
Sakura8

Punki! Long time no see! I'm sorry a few of your girls aren't doing so well. Your dad's betta girl can stay in 1 tsp epsom salt/gallon all of her life if she needs to. I'm glad she pulled through. Usually when they pinecone, that's it. Hurray for her!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #1202 
Punki

Sakura! :D Yes ive been very very busy these days.
I know right!? I did all maintenance for his fish so i know it wasnt water changes or anything of that sort, all i can figure is that when his girlfriend did some cleaning it somehow got into her tank. It happened so fast too, he said he woke up, offered 2 pellets and she didnt swim up for them as usual so he looked and looked and finally saw her laying on her side on the bottom and called me over thinking she had died. One look and i saw the dreaded pinecones. Thats the only time in my life ive seen a fish pinecone. Honestly, after reading statistics on it and all i was convinced id have to put her out of her misery. She was lifeless, her body arched in an unnatural way, deep breathing, and pineconed but my dad was pretty upset about it. She had been next to his bed this whole time in her tank and hed watch her at night and in the morning. So when i told him how things were he insisted i try anyways so into the epsom she went. I brought her back here to my place and put her on a shelf in a warm room and covered her in a blanket, only uncovering her once a day for a water change and everyday i thought she was dead when i looked at her. I finally thought id just put her out of her misery and tell dad she passed but she was no longer at the bottom when i checked, she was swimming, or at least trying to swim, so i have kept her alive since. He visits her daily but shes staying with me unless she becomes normal again by some miracle. Its really a miracle she made it out of the pinecone stage. I think her organs did try to shut down though and are damaged. When she eats it takes longer then usual to digest her foods, and it does cause swim bladder issues. Right now shes in 2tsp a gallon in a half gallon container that is more wide then tall. Hopefully she makes more improvement but if not shes comfortable in my opinion.
The rest are great, i get a few nippers from time to time so i have to rearrange things. Miss piggy was the only other problem with her popeye but shes healed up from that and is back to her fat self. Shes RED now btw :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #1203 
Sakura8

Sounds like a bacterial infection. They can happen so fast. Poor little lady. You did a great job with her, Punki. Very few of us can say we've brought one back from pineconing. Even with all the fish meds I have now, I still have been unsuccessful at bringing one back from that stage.

I think it's so sweet your dad visits her. True testament to how easy it is for us to get attached to these little fishies.

Aww. When you have some spare time, post updatedp pics. I'd love to see Miss Piggy all in red. :D And I'm really glad to hear Old Man is still with us. Way to go, Old Man and Electra!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #1204 
Punki

:)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #1205 
LyzzaRyzz

Awesome pictures! Great update!
Second photo, last betta, is she black with a yellow tail?
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #1206 
Sakura8

They're just as cute and adorable as I remember, only a little bigger. :D I love the pics of them hiding in their decorations.

How is your dad's betta girl doing?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #1207 
repru04

Great sorority!
repru04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #1208 
Sakura8

All sisters that she spawned herself. :) Yay for Punki!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #1209 
Punki

Name:  DSCN0045.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  33.8 KB
Not the best picture of my dads girl. When i held the camera up she really freaked out so i didnt want to further disturb her. Her status is basically.... I got rid of the pineconing, she has an appetite, but her digestion is slow. Live foods move through her faster so ive been sticking with mosquito larvae and live bloodworm. The day before she poos she gets this lump in her side right in front of her swim bladder. The lump used to affect her swim bladder but shes been swimming great for a week now. Shes quite easily exhausted though. I still have her on 3tsp of epsom but now ive noticed lots of white floaty film all around her by about 6 hours after waterchanges, im thinking this is some sort of bacterial infection thats gotten to her despite my rinsing her foods, so i need to do an aquarium salt treatment, im just so worried she will bloat and pinecone when put into aquarium salts so im hesitating for tonight but tomorrow i will probably lower her epsom salt levels by half and see how she copes. Then gradually switch to treating the bacterial infection and hope no bloating happens. I honestly believe she only made it out of pineconing because she was bred by me and fed live foods from birth and quite often while with my dad. A perfectly healthy lifestyle till some cleaners got into her water.

Lyzza- Nah shes green with a yellow tail :) She was the ugliest of the babies but now shes one of my favorites XD

Repru- Thanks :) one of the sisrters was unmanageable so she lives alone, the rest seem to get along well with only minor nips here and there on moody days :P

They seem small to me, despite my water changing as they grew, mommy and daddy are both bigger then them and im not sure they will grow anymore. Not sure why they didnt grow to fullsize, but they are cute :) Id just not trust oldman or any other big male not to hurt them during breeding so i doubt ill ever breed them :P
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #1210 
tpocicat

They look like they're comming along beautifully. They still might grow some more, how old are they?
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote