Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #141 
Punki

xD Shes a cute one for sure :)
Her and oldman are well today, and the babies, i was late feeding, some still had round bellies but about 25% didnt D; So i threw inforsia in there. Ive got some brine shrimp set up so im gonig to try that tonight. All of the plants i put in have such clean perfect roots now o.o Theyve picked them clean. So i added more duckweed from the QT bucket. Its been so hot here that their leaves are yellow but hopefully they perk up like the first batch did. Ill have to keep an eye on them to make sure they dont die and remove as nessisary but the little ones are already cuddling up in the roots and picking, microscopic food ftw!~ :))
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #142 
Sakura8

Do you still have those nemotodes in there for them to snack on in between feedings?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #143 
Punki

The nematode population has shrunk, i still see them but maybe half as many? I know some are still grazing on them though. i catch them slurping it down. Its almost as if some fry have figured out that the nematode are on the walls/surface and hang in groups there, while others are only hanging around the floating plants and eating the inforsia then i got a few weaker ones that hide in the corner that i put a drop of egg yolk in for and they eat that. The nematode eaters are the largest and longest.
If i ever breed again i swaer im gonig to take some gravel, put it in a jar, then take some tank water and fill it up, then float some plants on the surface because that was the exact conditions that the nematodes appeared from. Id like to have more :P But the fry are large enough for bbs im pretty sure. They have relly grown when i look back 6 days ago at their little hanging bodies XD

Last edited by Punki; 07-22-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #144 
Sakura8

I still can't get over how fast they grow. Every time I think about it I'm amazed. And culturing nematodes would probably make it easier for you, too, you wouldn't have to feed as much egg yolk. Aww, it's so hard to believe they're 6 days old!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #145 
Punki

It seems like the fry are picky XD Now i know why they say to feed variety, not only for nutrition but for those silly picky skinny ones in the corner! They swim up to the egg yolk dot so carefully then inhale it in, while the big fry chomp down on a nematode and swim around with it hanging out of their mouth like pro's. The strong/weak ones are starting to show for sure.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #146 
Sakura8

But even so I doubt you'll lose too many, if any at all, because you're taking such good care of them, making sure even the weak ones get fed. And it's funny, I guess bettas can be picky eaters right from birth. Who knew. Silly little things.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #147 
Punki

lol its true :) I just took a magnifying glass to them, i havent in a few days because i can see them decently without it but wow, the groups hang together by belly color :)) White bellies, orangish bellies, and yellow bellies :))
I can watch their mouths open and close now without the magnifying glas which is fun but next feed i think ill use it to watch. I can see little fins trying to grow at the tips, so so tiny clear little fin, jerking as they swim >.< cute. Yeah i could just let only the strong survive but i feel pity for the others. I havent found any dead so far, and when i count i always get in the low to high 40's. After 2 weeks i should be able to count them with more assurance since the first two weeks are the danger zone. Im almost at week 1 complete!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #148 
Sakura8

You have done so well, I'm so amazed and proud of you, Punki! Breeding bettas has always seemed like an intimidating thing to me and you're doing fantastic. *big hug*
Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #149 
Punki

Ah thanks :) I tend to be an obsessive type, if im into something im consumed by it. Works out well in the fry's case, but the husband gets a bit bored hearing about the Fry too much so i gotta control myself XD My 3 year old daughter has watched me also, now she takes her own cups and water and cofee filters and pours water from cup to cup, then holds the flashlight to it lmao! She also takes the flashlight to the tanks and says aww fishy *kiss tank* (i dont kiss the tank i promise!!) ive even watched her grab the digi cam and snap a pic of oldman :))
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #150 
Sakura8

Aww your fry (human and fish) sound so cute! It's okay if you do kiss your fish tank, I get pretty close to kissing mine. And yeah, I definitely am the obsessive type too so I completely understand.