Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #41 
diablo13

Wow punki, you put so much effort in this and are going to make so many people happy! You and Oldman are doing an awesome job with it, too!
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #42 
Punki

Thanks, i still worry ill mess things up somehow, im constantly googling and searching these forums. These forums have really made my days so much more fulfilling, proper care has given me two very happy interactive little bettas and now its taught me how to successfully spawn aggressive fish without any major injury/death and its my one and only hobby and i love it XD I feel very accomplished but honestly i wonder how ill ever let all these fish go, after being so thurough with their care, ill definitely be paranoid about their future owners but im hoping since they will be properly taken care of and supplied by me, they will be much better informed and have active healthy fish to start, and in a cup at the store they just lay, but hopefully seeing these little guys and girls beg and follow them across the room they can appreciate them as i do and want them to have the very best. Im excited to keep a few and know ill get to have them much longer then the lives of my petstore ones, its all really exciting xD Some of my family laughs and calls me fishgirl, and picks jokes like when i stayed up for 48 hours to see the whole process of spawning and keep them safe they would laugh and call me a fish pervert XD Ive had at least 10 people come check out my babies just from yesterday/today, all family but all really excited. Im also happy to know that since this, my family have all went out to get proper tanks, be it at a yardsale or petco, they all have at least 2g+ set aside for when these guys are older. Thats reassuring. Im half tempted to go to the dollar tree and buy some 2g bowls i saw, a dollar each, cant beat it, and that way i can give the nursing home some as well so ill know they are getting a nice space. Im rambling on and on, but its really exciting for me, who would have thought id enjoy fish so much, i got oldman just randomly then found this forum and gradually went betta crazy XD
Ill post more pics this evening, oldman has really outdone himself, his once 3x3 inch bubblenest he spawned under has now spread all across that side of the tank and is taking up almost a 4th of the surface. Hes amazing :)
Oh ill update on miss Electra also
- Shes doing great, i put about 10-15 mosquito larvae in her tank when i woke up and she chased them down and gobbled them up, and a bit ago i noticed i had some bloodworms (i think) in one of my outside buckets so i rinsed those off and gave her 5-6 of them, she also gobbled those up. Her nipped fins are healing, no black tips, only a few white tips starting to appear, ive been using a magnifying glass and flashlight to once daily check her thoroughly, Her few missing scales have regrown really fast because i no longer see any missing at all. I plan to keep her in the 2g tank half filled with 1g of water and a tsp of aquarium salt daily for the rest of the week and then start filling it all the way with regular non salted water after that and changing it every other day, then ill move her back into her home, by then she should have some decent regrowth. Shes egging up again already though, i guess its unnatural for her to be thin XD

Last edited by Punki; 07-18-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #43 
diablo13

Again, great job :D and you shouldn't call yourself Betta crazy, I mean sure, you do have like a hundred baby ones at your house but... Some members do have ungodly amounts of fish:D I'm getting a new tank myself. Might just have to get one of your babies.....:)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #44 
Punki

If i could learn to safely ship them id have no problem doing that, especially if theres more then expected. Itd be great to know someone from here got one :)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #45 
NCPanthersgurl

So I read where you said you weren't a hundred percent on water changes yet. I found this really nifty youtube video, I think it'll be the way I do things. Basically get hose, attach an airstone. Use a turkey baster at the other end, squeeze it enough to get the water in the hose, and it'll drain into a bucket or whatever; the grooves are too small to suck up the fry. :)

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxl3REegUUI

As to shipping, that's really simple too :)

Link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=35196
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #46 
Punki

Thats an awesome idea with water changing, as small as they are right now i planned to carefully turkey baste the bottom and then siphon with the airhose against a sponge, but i have airstones so i may change plans, i need to watch it a few more times to completely grasp it 100% But thanks :)
My problem with shipping is that im in FL and when they are big in Oct itll still be in the high 90's here so if someone lived here thatd be fine, i could just cool it, but if it was going up north in Oct itd be going from 90's to possibly 30's-40's but i couldnt put a heat pad in because if the beginning heat XD
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #47 
NCPanthersgurl

Ooo I see your issue. I wonder how others do it?

And yeah, I had to watch that video 4 times to entirely understand what was going on. Then I'm like OHH that's genius. I think she gets a lot of the big stuff out with the turkey baster, but the water through the air stone is brilliant. And simple, really.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #48 
NCPanthersgurl

Pst; and the song's kinda catchy. :P
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #49 
TheBlueBettaFish

He he..."Old Man" reminds me of the Old Man on Pawn Stars...have you seen it?

Hope it goes well!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #50 
diablo13

I wonder if Oldman can tell the difference between the fry... I can imagine it now...

Random Fry #1: Daddy, what was mommy like?

Oldman: Well young'un, she was the dang purdiest fish I ever have seen!

Random Fry #2: Wheee! Daddy, i want to do it again!

Oldman: Well for good gawds sake, Cindy, that's been the 12th time today!

Last edited by diablo13; 07-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.