Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #51 
Punki

NC yes that song is oddly catchy XD
Thanks Bluebettafish! I havent sat down to watch it yet, he mostely got his name from the fact that when they were in the divided 10g hed catch a glimpse of her, but hed just swim all slow and sneak peeks, he was a dirty old man xD
Diablo, hes got too many to keep track of i think, its like...100 twins, how scary XD

Well oldman seems to be getting tired, the little ones can hang better now so he doesnt have to pick up too many but ive caught him a couple of times resting on a leaf, or hiding in the plants nibbling them, poor guy =/ I may remove him alittle sooner if tomorrow he seems more tired. But hes still running over when a fry makes it past the halfway point down to pick them back up. Heres a couple of pics, they dont look too much different then day 1, except i can see their little black dot eyes alittle better, a bit smaller yolk sack, and a tiny tad longer bodys i THINK XD
Ignore the water spots, after taking the pic i wiped them off xD
Old man yelling "IM COMING TO THE RESCUE HANG ON!!" with a glimmer in his eye (check out all those bubbles btw)

and the babies
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #52 
TheBlueBettaFish

Good Luck!!!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #53 
Sakura8

The more you post, the more I admire Old Man and his utter devotion. What an awesome father he is. And look at his colors! He's gotten brighter, hasn't he?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #54 
diablo13

Aw, poor Oldman. You just sorta have to feel sorry for him.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #55 
Punki

I think the lighting caught him just right to brighten him up a bit but i actually think so also, if i had gotten a pic of him with Electra when he was showing off he looked a vibrant PURPLE, that blue and red just deepened so nicely, he was able to seduce her being all handsome :)) The babies yolk sacks are smaller this morning, they arent horizontal just yet but they are gaining a bit more control. I think i spotted my first dead one last night, as i walked by, noticed oldman was on the opposite side of his nest with a white dot on his head so i leaned down alittle worried and saw it was a lifeless fry laying on his head, then he done his food dance since i was looking at him and it fell to the bottom. If fish could tell you things i imagine he was showing me how he lost one of his little ones. Suprisingly he didnt eat it. Otherwise all is well, hes still spitting them back in the nest if they dont find their way, and today the nest seems alittle more thin, a few are holding onto the glass instead, still plenty of nest though.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #56 
Sakura8

What a good, non-cannibalistic father Old Man is being. Maybe he thought if he carried it around on his head it would swim back up on its own, not realizing it was gone? Who knows. I bet he was stunning when he was purple. Hehe, it reminds me of an old man getting out his purple disco suit to show off to the younger ladies.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #57 
diablo13

Thanks Sakura, now I have a mental picture of an Old man in a disco suit, lol. Poor Fry, but I guess some had to go eventually :(
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #58 
Sakura8

"uh uh uh uh stayin' alive"
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #59 
bettaloverforever16

Lol, great song to see to Old Man.
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #60 
Punki

LOL if i wasnt so busy id photoshop a suit on him XD
So i have a couple questions if anyone knows the answers.
I have about 4-5 freeswimmers, the rest are still mostely vertical still, and a bunch just hang, when should i remove him? I expected to look in and see a bunch of freeswimmers and then remove but its gradially happening, maybe tonight?
I knew gravel-less bottom was needed but i had some fake plants to anchor so i only gravled 1/4 of the tank basically just anchoring the fake plants, thinking that for spawning, they still have barebottom so they could see their eggs, but forgetting the big picture, needing to keep the bottom spotless, when i do remove oldman, could i gently remove the gravel or just leave it this week? One of my plants is also not doing well and rotting so i need to remove it also but i dont want to kill any fry in the process.
oldman sees the freeswimmers and sometimes just watches them, sometimes he spits them back into the nest, and sometimes he gives them rides on his head LOL, hasnt eaten one yet though.
Edit- Also, isnt it alittle early to freeswim? I thought it was three days after hatching but its only been about 40-48 hours. I also dropped some inforsia in just in case they needed more.

Last edited by Punki; 07-19-2011 at 03:18 PM.