Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #611 
Animalfreak

Cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Animalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #612 
Punki

I managed to cup the second one whos like miss piggy after seeing her obvious HUGE belly and her breathing heavy in the java moss. Shes now in epsom salts floating and adapting to the change. Miss piggys stomach never got this big. They dont eat anything that could constipate them so its got to be overeatting. Shouldnt they know when to stop o.o I dont THINK i overfeed, most eat till full then poop and eat more or go nap awhile but these two both gorge and nip others out of their way. Gonna limit her foods tomorrow also, her and miss piggy only get small mosquito larvae throughout the day. Hopefully this can fix them. Theres no noticable change in miss piggy, she eats and poops normally, but still swims fnny. This one though, ugh, big big belly...
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #613 
caitic10

Aww...pooor thing. I hope it recovers!
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #614 
Punki

Thanks. Im feeling alittle guilty tonight. While miss piggy was growing rapidly and i was giggling and cracking jokes on her pig behavior she was slowely damaging her swim bladder i think, and i should have removed her and limited much sooner maybe. Her balance is the same if not worse today, and its day 3 of epsom salts. She is still excited and catches her food, but if she doesnt know im there she just sits at the bottom, no exploring or anything. It also seems alittle harder for her to get up for air, and when she does she almost has to jump to grab air. I dont want to cull her but if she continues down this path she will eventually suffer not being able to reach the surface. I hope it doesnt come to that and i wish the epsom salts would work. I suddenly realized and got confirmed today that im overfeeding, i feed small amounts but i feed 4 times a day and they are past the 1 month stage so their feedings can be decreased, but i didnt do that and JUST after the 1 month point miss piggy and now the second baby have swim bladder issues. I just dont like knowing that one of my favorites was hurting herslf and i didnt know, and thought it was funny =/
The second baby shows no improvement in its cup, but its no worse yet either. Miss piggy has to work to get air, and work alittle to grab food. UGHHH >.<
The first female i ever had was coraline and she was white with red fins, like miss piggy, and viewing miss piggy reminds me of coraline but i think maybe im not meant to have white females with red fins or something because their swim bladder keeps messing up on me and epsom salt doesnt help D;
Edit: i must just be feeling down because who knows if miss piggy is even a girl, its just she remonds me of my first :P

Last edited by Punki; 08-24-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #615 
Animalfreak

So sad to hear ):
Animalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #616 
bettalover2033

@Punki: You shouldnt beat yourself up about it though. It happens to a lot of us. Including me. Im sure that it has happened to many experienced owners in the past. Sadly it is currently happening to you think positive and hey if you are as crazy as some of the members on here (still talking about me) talk to her lol.

Dont worry it will pass eventually. We all have our fingers crossed and hope the best for her. I think i'll call her a her until we can figure out what the gender is.

You know how you said that you used to think that it was funny when she would eat a lot and you joked around with the issue, at the time you DID NOT KNOW about it, so you should not be so hard on yourself. It was a mistake. everyone goes through many mistakes. We are humans, we make mistakes. If you didn't you wouldn't be considered a human lol.

Im just kidding around with you but my whole point is turn the negative into a positive for your girl.

Keep us posted and Good Luck with everything.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #617 
Sakura8

Punki, don't feel bad. Don't forget, this is your first spawn so you're still learning and gaining experience. Miss Piggy certainly doesn't blame you so you shouldn't blame yourself either. You're doing wonderfully for your first spawn so just keep right on loving those little fry. :)

And I do have a quick question: do you use a box filter in your fry tank? I have one in my platy fry tank but I have to turn it off for them to eat otherwise they bob around too much at the surface. I'm wondering if I even need it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #618 
Punki

Thanks all, i could accept that she might be a bit "off" and just take the best care possible, but if she suffers, its just sad, i feel bad. Its true im learning and its human nature but stil GAHHH WHY DIDNT I THINK HARDER D; Still have high hopes for her, shes still cute and sweet and id just LOVE to wake up and see her improve tomorrow, its too sad for her to make it this far then not make it.
Sakura i actually took a huge yellow sponge and stuffed the intake of a small whisper air filter into it then rubberbanded, it basically drizzles water out and doesnt disturb them at all. I replace the rubberband weekly just in case but so far so good.
In the morning if miss piggy/the other one are worse im gonig to up them to 2tsp a gallon, i didnt want to shock them with too much at once but i want them to live full happy lives >.<
Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #619 
Sakura8

Punki, I know, it's human nature to think "What if." I've done that with some of my other pets. But I don't think Miss Piggy is suffering. I think right now she may just be a little mopey because she's on her own. She knows she's loved. They all know they're loved. I will say a big prayer that the epsom salts help them both. And thank you for the filter tip. I think I may have a filter I can use that I can baffle. The poor little fry look weird bobbing on the surface as they try to eat.

Hang in there Punki, you're doing fine. *hugs*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #620 
Punki

Thanks Sakura :) Theyve been through so much and ive learned so much along the way, i just kinda felt like "Okay im attaching now, these ones left are now precious to me, they survived everything my newness threw at them" and miss piggy has always made me smile most. Itd be horrible to attach and think of her and be reminded of little coraline only for her to suffer the same fate ya know? Its crual to imagine that happening to me, so even if im not mad at me i feel generally mad that its happening again and reminding me of the past i guess. I just checked on her and she was resting at the bottom and sawm up and made eyecontact, but shes getting no more food tonight so i just backed away and she laid back down. Their little cups fill with poo so i know shes not constipated but i kinda just wish it was that simple in a way :P
I had a sponge filter for the 10g but when i had to move them i had to think of something and i knew their labyrinth organ was due to show at anytime for them so i rushed in that filter like that to keep the top water not slimy XD