Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #621 
Sakura8

*hugs* Miss Piggy WILL end up differently than Coraline. For one thing, Coraline probably had horrible care before she came to you and that's why she got so sick. Miss Piggy has gotten the best care since day one so she's got a lot of extra health that poor Coraline probably didn't have. And Miss Piggy's swim bladder problem is different. Thinking back on everything, with what I've learned now about fish diseases from DarkMoon17, I think Coraline may have had a very bad internal bacterial infection that caused a buildup of fluids pushing on her swim bladder, probably from being at Petsmart. But we had no way of knowing that at the time. That's the problem with internal bacterial infections - they don't show any helpful symptoms for diagnosis until it's too late. Miss Piggy isn't sick, she's not fighting infections or anything else. She'll pull through. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #622 
Punki

Thanks for that diagnosis, its good to know theres at least an idea of what happened to her. I sometimes look back on her disease thread and try and figure it out. I still have the vide of her flopping around on the bottom also that i sometimes come across. Whatever it was, it was brutal, left her unable to swim, and she couldnt even rest on the bottom, its as if se was having seizures and shed stop breathing, only to come back alive and suffer more. Such a violent thing that was. I guess realistically, if miss piggy can always swim to surface then at worst she may be like one of your special bettas i saw in a pic, that cant swim properly but gets around. I just dont want to suddenly realize she isnt happy/thriving and have to consider my options. Poor cupped girls are so lonely. When their siblings swim by they get so excited.
In other news sharky got prettier somehow lol, his tail is geting the 2 prongs for sure, i can see them spreading like Electras. If he wasnt so little id say hes at full color. I cant imagine what else he could do :P
My two different colored eyed guy seems to be evening out his eye colors, now they are both dark so im not sure what was going on there.
My tinyest one went up for air today, hes way behind but now i can say all are breathing air. I wonder when people stop clearwrapping the tank, i wouldnt do it just yet, but just for future reference.
Electra is currently obviously in the mood to breed. Shes been alone and fed as usual but her bars are showing more then they ever did while breeding. I guess it just happens sometimes :P
Oldman is pretty much back to his usual self, lazy and grumpy and a pig, but not all depressed. Hes back to sleeping on his leaf and not the floor so i guess his mood has lifted thank goodness!
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #623 
Sakura8

I know, poor Coraline, it was definitely brutal, unlike anything I've seen since. It's like the bacterial infection got into her brain. Stupid pet stores and their subpar pet care. But in the time she had, I know she was very happy and content with you and I know she loved you as much as you love her.

Sharky's going to look amazing. Whoever said pet store bettas won't have good-looking fry should take a gander at Sharky because he's so glittery and handsome. And that's odd about the little guy with the eyes. It's almost as if the pigments developed in one eye first or something strange like that. But I'm glad they're evening out, even though he would have looked unusual.

I'm also so glad to hear Old Man is back to himself, I was worried about him. He must have slept on the floor because his leaf reminded him of his fry. Or maybe he felt like he needed to punish himself or something. But I'm glad he's back to being Old Man. And Electra is a funny, funny girl. She's like, "Hey, that breeding thing was pretty easy and afterward, I get lots of extra larva and love. So let's try it again!"
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #624 
Punki

I agree about oldman, it seemed like he was punishing himself, hed search for his little ones and then settle onto the floor and sit so depressed-like. Im starting to think maybe oldman is going blind though, i used to be able to tap and hed quickly see any food dropped and gobble it up but now i have to drop it really close to his face, and sometimes even then he doesnt notice it. I thought maybe he wasnt enjoying the pellets but its the same with mosquito larvae, he sees and chases them, but before he would catch and eat all of them within 1-2 minutes, now he doesnt notice them unless they swim right near him and move around. I guess its possible for a betta to go blind as they age? Ive heard of people buying a blind betta but not so much about it slowely becoming an issue. Hopefully he just still isnt at 100% yet and will recover. He spends most of his day watching miss piggy wiggle and thinks shes a female so he bubblenests, lol!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #625 
Sakura8

I think it's very possible for a betta to lose his sight as he gets older, just like old dogs and cats can get cataracts. I haven't heard of it happening but if it does, Old Man will be all right. You just may need to cup him or something to feed him. Poor guy. At least, if his sight really IS going, it went after he got to see pretty Electra.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #626 
Punki

Its as if hes saying "Ive been in a cup, ive been in a bowl, ive been in a tank, ive been in a huge tank, ive found my love, weve made babies, ive seen everything" i guess, now if he loses sight its not so bad, though id miss him seein me and his foods. Breeding really does take alot out of even conditioned bettas, him being old, i just consider myself lucky he made it at all :)
I took some pics, they are uploading ill post when they are done :)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #627 
Punki

:)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #628 
Sakura8

They're so beautiful. They're coming along so nicely and those colors! Sharky and Squito are amazing. And their little ventrals are so cute, they're still so tiny.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #629 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Wasn't daddy blue? And what color was mommy?

Btw, congrats. Your fry looks great.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #630 
Punki

Thanks, yes daddy is blue and red, the standard VT color, and mommy, shes a mix lol. Heres a pic of daddy and mommy.

I figure ill get blue/red, but sharky is a greenish color, and one of the white ones has some yellow coming into its fins so i guess its just random with these two so far :)