Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #631 
Punki

Heres a little video of miss piggy today, she seems to be staying the same in the swimbladder dept, but she isnt so lethargic today, shes watching her siblings excitedly. Ignore the background mickeymouse, my daughter was watching it :P
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=DSCN0803.mp4
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #632 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Interesting..... I would never have thought of the color outcome of your fry. Green and platinum/white, and mixes/combos .....
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #633 
Jirothebetta

You know, miss piggy really doesn't look like she's all that bad off...sure she's swimming a little wonky but I don't see anything too serious...I'd say that as long as she can breath and eat she (or he) will be okay

@indjo- I know what you mean about the colors, they came out so beautiful and crazy colored...I think it has to do with Electra possibly being a cambodian genotype, plus all the iridescence in both the parents...Like sharky for instance, his color is ALL iridescence XD

Last edited by Jirothebetta; 08-25-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #634 
Sakura8

In a way, she reminds me of my handicap betta who swims in an upright (head up, tail down) position. As long as the tank is shallow and she has plants to perch in, she should be a happy betta, assuming the epsom salts don't help cure her.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #635 
Punki

Thanks for all the input.
Indjo- Yeah i didnt look into genes too much but i knew that red and blue and VT was dominant so i expected alot of oldmans and maybe a few lucky electra colors but so far everyones either pale bodied and getting red on their fins or sharky...hes just a green with maroon tail tips, he defied both parents. Squito is a dark blue with red tips so he may end up looking like daddy, but all the light colored ones just have a pearly white iridescence or a very vey light blue iridescence on their bodies. I love electras look and oldmans attitude so that would be a nice combo, its a fun surprise :P
Jiro- I had to google cambodian genotype and it still is confusing to me a bit, but looking at pics of other bettas labeled with it i can sortof see how it could be. I wish i studied types a bit more now XD They are not what i expected at all but better then i expected so far :D Thanks for the input on Miss piggy, its reassuring
Sakura- YES She reminded me of the pic i saw of your special little betta. She may end up being just that. Do you happen to have a pic of your setup for that one of yours for future reference? :)
Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #636 
Sakura8

Yes, I'll post pics as soon as I take them, I'd be more than happy to share the setup with you. :)
Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #637 
Jirothebetta

Cambodian genotype means that they have gene's for the white(or just light) colored bodies but are not cambodian themselves, if the babies maintain their light body colors it means one of your fish is cambodian genotype, and since cambodian is a mix of different color genes itself it would make since that you got such crazy colors ....hope that cleared it up a bit...I'm till learning the whole genetic thing myself, I might be completely off on this one
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #638 
Sakura8

Punki, I ended up taking a video because I couldn't get the lighting right for photos. Sorry it's so long but I think it shows everything. The tank is a medium sized Petco Pet Keeper, the heater is the Zoo Med Betta Therm heater but I'm going to get a different one as it gets close to winter, that thing doesn't work at all. He's in 1 gallon of water. Hope this helps you.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MVI_1345.mp4
Old 08-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #639 
Punki

Thanks so much for the video. She does swim similar to him. At least with a video i can see how he gets around and rests and everything also. Hes adorable, just warms my heart watching him wiggle along :) I think i will do the same thing when the time comes, hopefully i can find a reliable heater also that will work in a half filled tank like that. Let me know what you end up getting :)
And ty Jiro, your explanation helped me a bit more then the websites :D
Old 08-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #640 
Sakura8

You're welcome Punki, my pleasure. :) I'll definitely let you know which heater. I think it's going to be a Hydor heater for nano tanks but I don't know exactly what it's called so I'll post when I get it.