Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #1 
mookeeful

Question Meet Bluebelle (who may be just Blue?)

So my hubby & I thought we would we would try to start a sorority - totally didn't work for my stress levels - so we have all these fishies in separate tanks now, hehe. Just wondering though - is Bluebelle possibly not really a girl at all? She (he?) wasn't really the aggressor in the tank & is pretty chill overall...but she was flaring at her reflection a bit like the boys do. I wasn't certain if it was just because she (he?) was threatened with the others in the tank & just thought her reflection was one of them....since we separated them she (he?) hasn't flared at all. The only thing that made me start to question it was that she (he?) has pretty vibrant colors, and I thought I read somewhere that girls do not have beards. She has 2 little things poking out that could possibly grow into a beard, but I am not knowledgeable at all about telling the difference between genders. These pictures are not the best - I may have to take better in the morning, but what do you think?
Attached Images

mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Haha, I am almost positive that is a girl. :) In the last pic I think I see an egg spot. She's very pretty! Females often times do have bright vibrant colors, it's just that males have much longer tails and are way more aggressive. Females do flare occasionally and they do have beards, but what you are seeing are probably the gill covers. These are what flare out. :) Females beards are smaller than a males though. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #3 
BettaShawn

Yea,she looks like a female veiltail. Very pretty betta. In your sorority, were the betta all the same or did you mix them up? Example 5 veiltails with 2 crowntails and 1 Deltatail?I have 1 female veiltail with a female crowntail, The female veiltail was bullish towards the crowntail. Not sure if that really affects anything lol.
BettaShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

Awww how cute! Totally a girl. Her ventral fins are also a LOT shorter than males. :)

Tail types don't really matter when in a sorority. They're all the same species, but females can be just as mean as males. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #5 
BettaShawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
Awww how cute! Totally a girl. Her ventral fins are also a LOT shorter than males. :)

Tail types don't really matter when in a sorority. They're all the same species, but females can be just as mean as males. :)
True, thank you for clearing that up for me =)
BettaShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #6 
mookeeful

Well, they were all VT's....and they were all bullish except for her. She was just kind of swimming away from everyone.

i am glad to know for sure!!! I am so clueless with gender's when they are tiny, hehe. I am still learning (: We ended up adopting out the other females because we just don't have the space for that many tanks, hehe. We currently have 5 (four 5 gallons for the boys and she is now pimping it in a 10, lol). I wanted them all, but my wallet wouldn't have allowed for more :( I think maybe once I am a bit more knowledgeable about the females & can afford to individually house them if it doesn't work out, then I will give it another shot for sure. TY for all of the compliments! I just loved her immediately when I saw her! Oh and TY for your help as usualy (:
mookeeful is offline   Reply With Quote