Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1 
Larsa

Sponge Filter alternative?

I have recieved my new sponge filter. I got all excited but when I attatched it to my air pump, my blonde self realized I made air pump outwards in the sponge, not filtering anything at all. LOL. I am gonna go to petco and see if they have anything I need to make the sponge filter suck air inwards.
I have been wondering for a while now...just in case they dont have anything.... can I get panty hose for my whisper filter, and rubber-band layers of panty hose at the end of the filter-where it sucks water in? That way no fry or infusoria get lost :) in fact if I do lots of layers it may trap infusoria on there so the fry can eat off it. Would this idea work!? o. 0
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I think you hooked it up right....it doesn't suck per se.....it should be blowing out bubbles....google the brand you bought and research how they work....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #3 
Jirothebetta

I always wondered, how is it a filter if it blows air out...doesn't that make it a sponge airiator instead?

ETA: the whole whisper filter panty hose idea sounds cool...not sure if it would work but it sure sounds like it would...but then again it might just suck fry up against the panty hose and trap them with the infusoria...unless it slows down the suction considerably...

Last edited by Jirothebetta; 07-17-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Jirothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The sponge filter work as a biological filter-they provide surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize...they do pull small amount of water with the air lift tubes and mulm/debris flow through and gather on/in the sponge and you will see bubbles usually coming out the top tube under the water.....

With fry-these are great, personally I wouldn't use HOB even with pantyhose....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote