Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #1 
fishmom in doghouse

Bettas died after water change : (

Hi everyone,
My kids each got a betta fish several weeks ago and we got nice tanks with lights, low flow filter, and habitat enhancers. I have not done a 100% water change until last night. I rinsed everything out with plain water, refilled the tanks, put each fish back and we woke to find both of them dead.
I feel horrible and am definitely in the doghouse with my kids. They were doing a good job feeding them and taking care of them and we would like to get more bettas but I need to understand what happened before I harm any other fish. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This looks like a good site for general betta care info so I'll keep reading the general stuff.
fishmom in doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #2 
diablo13

First, did you put in water conditioner?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

First, welcome! This site is an amazing place for betta knowledge, and everyone's very friendly.

My first question would be, did you use any tap water conditioners? If not, the tap water can often have harsh minerals and chemicals that can harm, or kill, your fish.
If so, my next question would be did you slowly acclimate them to the new water temperature? Usually when you do a water change there's a temperature difference between the old water that they're sitting in, and the new water you're putting them in. Sometimes enough that it would shock them.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #4 
fishmom in doghouse

Yes....I followed the water conditioner instructions and added 1 tsp per gallon
Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #5 
NCPanthersgurl

How long did you wait before adding the fish?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #6 
fishmom in doghouse

I did not acclimate either one to the new water temperature and that may have been the problem. I tried not to make it too cold, but the old water must have been warmer than i realized.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #7 
NCPanthersgurl

It might have. My other concern is if you treated it and then put them in right after, the chemicals might not have had the time to treat the tap water yet.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #8 
Silverfang

IF the water was too cold that definitely could have been the cause. I changed my boys water once, and it was cold enough the poor boy went into shock. I spent the next hour bawling and trying to keep him going. Thankfully the warmer water and the bright light warmed him up enough that he's still with me.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #9 
PitGurl

Sorry to here about your bettas. Here is a suggestion for next time. Always save the cups your bettas come in, they're really handy for water changes. Place the betta in the cup with the old tank water. Put the new tap water in a gallon jug and then add the conditioner. Shake it up and let it sit for 5 minutes to make sure the conditioner has a chance to work. Add the new water to the tank. Then place the cup with the betta still in it in your tank. Let it float in the new water for about 20 minutes slowly adding water from the tank into the cup. Not only does this get your betta used to the temp but it also acclimates him to the ph. After 20 minutes gently poor your betta into the tank. This is just the way I do it, others may have other suggestions .
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #10 
NCPanthersgurl

Sounds like a good setup for her PitGurl. I just learned to save the original cups myself, but my goodness is it useful. >.<