Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #1 
Sakura8

SBD But No Bloating

I rescued a very sad crowntail from Petsmart today. He has severe SBD and is on his side breathing very heavily. I have him in his cup in a few inches of water. He is not bloated at all so I have no idea what may be causing his SBD. Should I start him on epsom salt, aquarium salt, or Maracyn II?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Edward was like that. I put him on epsom salt and he actually did poop. If your new fish does poop, then I think you'll find out if he's got parasites.

I'd give him a day or two before starting the Maracyn 2 just to see if he can handle it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 
Sakura8

He may not have a day or two, poor guy. I saw him this morning (PST time) and held off because I have no room but I felt bad all day so I went and got him. He's on his side. :/
Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Well, I guess then just start on the Maracyn 2 and hope he can handle it. Hopefully he'll make and turn into a gorgeous fish.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #5 
Tisia

epsom is usually prescribed for SBD and I think it's the easiest on their systems as well so I'd definitely try that before anything else
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #6 
copperarabian

Hang in there Sakura, when I got Astaldo he was so weak he would lay on his side and not move until he had to breath, and even that was heart breaking to watch (and he only had 2 1/2 inches of water), he breathed so shallow I couldn't always see his gill covers moving, I was sure he wouldn't make it but he somehow did. He was severely emaciated though, I've never had a fish with SBD :(

This is what the container I used looked like, I like it more because there's more water then a cup so it stays cleaner

Last edited by copperarabian; 07-18-2011 at 10:51 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Thanks everyone. I put him in an 8 cup rectangular Gladware with about 2 1/2" of water and some epsom salt and stuck him in my brother's room because it's the warmest. I don't know how else to keep him warm otherwise. I don't think he's emaciated, but it's hard to tell. He could be, I wouldn't be surprised. They did a water change from when I saw him this morning to when I got him this evening and dumped 10 pellets into his cup.

Did you feed Astaldo while he couldn't swim, Copper?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Here are some pics of the crowntail and his current setup. He moves around a bit when rising to get air but that's all. Does he look emaciated to you guys? I'd have a lot more hope for him if he simply is too weak to move rather than SBD issues.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

He looks a little skinny, but not too bad. I wonder if it was just the feeding schedule and water temperature at the store. How is the epsom salt working?

I usually see poops within a few hours of adding it to the qt cup. You could try giving him a pellet just so he has something to push through his system if he's willing to eat too.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #10 
Sakura8

So far, I can't tell any difference as far as the epsom salt goes. He had an awful lot of uneaten pellets in his cup, though. From what I understand, they only feed them every 3 days but they feed them 10 pellets at a time. I'm going to see if he'll eat, just in case.