Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #21 
Pataflafla

That might have been it. Now hopefully he'll eat pellets too.

Moonshoes refuses to eat pellets since I gave him bloodworms on his first day.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #22 
Sakura8

I'm going to give him bloodworms for another day and then try a pellet. I have one pet store guy who was only fed bloodworms. He won't even look at pellets, just swims off.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #23 
Pataflafla

I'm gonna try fasting Moonshoes on friday for a day or two to see if he'll eat a pellet or two if he's really hungry. And if he does, then I'll slowly switch him to a pellet diet with bloodworms as a treat.

Right now the extra protein is good though.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #24 
Sakura8

Yes, high protein diets are good for healing and fin regeneration and any other mild problems they have. But they say starvation is the best seasoning for food so hopefully he'll be willing to make the switch for you.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #25 
Pataflafla

If not I'm gonna have to go buy some garlic. He's definitely not starving now though. I probably give him around 10 freeze dried bloodworms daily, but i'm trying to wean him. He's gotten up to a nice looking weight in just a few days, but hopefully it isn't the parasites bloating him a little.

I hope your guy improves quickly. I'm sure he'll much prefer swimming around to belly crawling.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #26 
Sakura8

You can also dissolve plain garlic powder (no salt) in tank water and see if that works. If he has parasites in early stages, he'll be super skinny no matter how much he eats. If he has a LOT of parasites, then they'll bloat him up. Garlic is a good vitamin supplement, helps strenthen their immune system as well as makes food appetizing.

Thanks, I think he'll prefer swimming too. :- Good luck with Moonshoes.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #27 
DarkMoon17

He does look really skinny Sakura. He could have some parasites or he could have been completely starved... You might want to see if you can get some weight on him before treating him for anything else. You can soak the blood worms in a bit of garlic too. That would be a nice natural way to scare off a small parasite infestation. Don't go above 2tsp/gal Epsom with him since you do want him to absorb nutrients, which is one of the problems with Epsom. It's a laxative so the foods isn't in the intestines as long and they can't absorb as much from it. When he does poop check it to make sure it is the color of his food. It might be clear for a few days if he is starved since he will be pulling all the nutrients out of it that he can but it should darken if he does not have parasites.

Pataflafla- you can do the same thing with the garlic. You should try to wean him of "freeze dried" foods very soon too. Give him frozen food instead. He is probably bloated because of all the freeze-dried worms. 10 freeze dried worms a day is a lot. He really shouldn't be fed more than 2 freeze-dried worms per week.

Good luck both of you and keep us posted :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #28 
Sakura8

He's only in 1 tsp of Epsom salt for now. What if he doesn't poop? Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you, DarkMoon. *hugs*

Edit: Just read your PM, disregard the poo question. ^_^

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-20-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #29 
Sakura8

He did poop, quite a bit, and it's all dark, food-colored. He was starving after that, gobbled up the three tiny bloodworm segments I gave him, even ate right off the tweezers for once. Before he would wait until they dropped down to him, then belly-slide over to them. He's so cute the way he wiggles his fins when I lift the lid of his QT to look at him. I'm trying not to get attached until I know for sure he'll make it but it's getting harder and harder not to like the little guy.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #30 
Tisia

the fact that he's eating and moving around more definitely sounds like he's got a good chance though :D
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote