Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #1 
Minxies

Question african dwarf frogs with a betta?

I've seen that they can make GREAT tank companions.
I've been looking into caretaking and how to feed the little guys. (can prove a challenge since Aoi's a friggin pig)

I've got a few concerns though.
If I introduce a frog into the tank, it wont bring parasites or a disease into the tank will it?
(I thought if I got one, I might get another 1gal and keep him/her in it for about a month to make sure they wouldn't be sick)

How do I introduce a frog into the tank with Aoi? I know better than to just dump him in with my fish; maybe a breeding net?? would that work???
(I have no idea how my Betta will react to a frog..)

Also, My tank is a 3gallon cylindrical tank; will that be too small for the little guy floorspace wise?? (I dunno the width of the floor, honestly.)

Lol, help?
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Yup, any time you want to introduce any kind of new tankmate, whether it's a fish or a frog, you'll want to quarantine it for at least a week. Most professionals recommend a month but I usually can't wait that long, hehe. After QT, you can put him in the breeder so Aoi can see him, maybe leave the frog in there for an hour, then release him. I have no idea what you'll do about feeding though since I don't have a clue what ADF eat. It's tough with bettas, they are major glut butts. My girls effectively evicted their cory tankmates because they wouldn't stop eating the cories' food; those girls of mine bloated up so big I thought they'd pop!

What are the habits of an ADF? All the ones I've seen are either hanging at the top or sacked out on the bottom, I've never seen them move around too much. To the best of my knowledge, they don't seem to require too much floorspace but you'll know way more than me since you've been doing the research. I would think you can certainly try one in the tank you have, just be sure the frog has a little hiding place in case Aoi gets grumpy with his tankmate. Or vice versa.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I was wondering about that too as I want to put one with sesshomarhu and name it Jaken
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Could anything be more fitting? Maybe a little ghost shrimp named Rin.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #5 
Minxies

So far, since my betta's a pig. I think I might have to get the frogs out of the water and into a smaller tank temporarily so I could feed 'em.
(Looking up alternate ways though)

I also found a video of an African Clawed Frogd EATING someone's betta. D:
That freaked me out bad!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Uhm, I'm sure the frog eating the betta is a very rare occurence and shame on the video person for not helping the betta! Just make sure the frog you get is an African Dwarf, not an African Clawed. How many frogs are you thinking of getting?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #7 
Minxies

I was thinking only one, or two at most. Since my tank isn't very big. I might even be pushing it with two. :/
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Yeah, I think I'd definitely start with one and see how it goes. That way if you have to remove the frog for feeding, it's easier to deal with.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #9 
elijahfeathers

Clawed frogs are dangerious, and African CLAWED Frogs will eat any fish they can fit into their mouth, from what I've heard. So it's important to learn the differences in appearance so you don't bring home something dangerous. It's kind of like ghost shrimp, and those other shrimp that get sold as them but get big and predatory.

ADFs breath air, they jump, but are fully aquatic so they need a lid to keep them in. They are mostly blind and find their food by smell-- they can eat sinking pellets or frozen blood worms. They are carnivorous. Many people apparently find it easy to place a flat dish on the tank floor, and always present the food there, so the frog will find and eat it faster.

Females are fatter than males.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Wow, didn't know frogs could be so dangerous to fish. How can you tell the difference, by checking the feet?