Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 
nbucko

New to fish

Well, I've never owned a fish but have wanted to get one for the past several years. I got a male veiltail yesterday that I let my son pick out. Unfortunately this was kind of an unplanned purchase and I hadn't found these forums yet so I got one of those all-in-one kits that only had a one gallon tank.

I think that I'll see how I manage to take care of him for a while and if all goes well get a bigger tank 6-8 months down the road.

Just wanted to introduce myself and share my excitement!
nbucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #2 
PhilipPhish

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of fish keeping!

I got my first fish 5 years ago, his name is Philip, hes still alive though.

They make great companions!

Good luck with your new buddy! if you have any questions, just ask! : )
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #3 
nbucko

Right now I'm just trying to keep an eye on him to make sure he makes the transition well. I've already spotted an issue or two with my setup besides the size of the tank.

Oh well, its to be expected with something new I guess.

I'll try to stay active on the board.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #4 
PhilipPhish

one gallon tanks work well for one betta. My fish are in .5 and 1.5 gallon tanks, they love it!

just as long as you do water changes and feed him right, he should be OK.

You'll know he's happy, because he will make a bubble nest (clumps of bubbles on the surface of water). I got a new boy a few days ago, he blew a bubble nest second day he was here.

If he doesn't blow a nest with in the next few months, maybe re-arrange his tank some more. They love plants, and caves!

all my fish have a garden of plants to hide in, but Philip has a pink cup I bought at the dollar store. I covered the top and sides with gravel so it looked more like a cave then a cup.

If you like, I can post pictures of his cave and stuff. They really enjoy places to hide, and plants help them make bubblenests and make them feel safe.

If you like, you can get an African Dwarf Frog for your fish. They enjoy company, just make sure its the right kind of fish (see the companion section of the forum). If you had a 5 gallon, I'm sure oyu could purchase a few tiny friends for him too! : )

hope it helped!
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Welcome to the forum!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #6 
Luimeril

welcome!

as long as you keep up with water changes, a one gallon is fine. two of my 7 are in one gallons(Lulu's scared of bigger tanks, actually! it's so odd!), and they're happy and healthy. :3 but, it's usually a good idea to upgrade them as soon as you can, to at least a 2 gallon. that way, you can get a small, adjustable heater for him, and he'll be warm and toasty. :3
Luimeril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #7 
nbucko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
welcome!

as long as you keep up with water changes, a one gallon is fine. two of my 7 are in one gallons(Lulu's scared of bigger tanks, actually! it's so odd!), and they're happy and healthy. :3 but, it's usually a good idea to upgrade them as soon as you can, to at least a 2 gallon. that way, you can get a small, adjustable heater for him, and he'll be warm and toasty. :3
I'm glad you brought that up. The guy at PETCO (I know, sometimes not a great place for fish and I'm starting to think the guy was an idiot) told me to feed him every other day and change the water every couple of weeks. But reading here some say to change it sometimes every day. So which is it?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #8 
BetterBetta

It would be dependent on how big your tank is. Since you have a one gallon, I would do 2-3 50% water changes ever week. And feed your betta every day, but let him fast one day so he doesnt get bloated ^.^
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #9 
Luimeril

it's often suggested to do 2 50% water changes, and one 100% water change, every week. x:
Luimeril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #10 
nbucko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterBetta View Post
It would be dependent on how big your tank is. Since you have a one gallon, I would do 2-3 50% water changes ever week. And feed your betta every day, but let him fast one day so he doesnt get bloated ^.^
Thanks for the quick reply. 2-3 50% changes a week sounds more reasonable and do-able with my busy life at the moment.

Talking to the guy in the store I thought, feeding every other day shouldn't be a problem and changing the water once every other week should be fine too since its such a small tank. Then I got on here and started reading how the smaller tanks tend to be more work because you have to change the water more often etc. I was starting to get worried that I wouldn't be able to properly care for this fish.

Last edited by nbucko; 07-19-2011 at 04:36 PM.