Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #1 
charlotte

male betta looks horrible

Last night I was at walmart and I got a male betta because he was in bad condition and I felt bad. His fins are rotting off (piecing of them are floating around in the tank), he has white moldy looking spots around his gills, and the gills look dark red (I'm not sure if thats normal, he's a light orange color). When I got him home he had his head facing down and his tail end up more but this morning he's swimming around and looks slightly better. His cup wasn't even full of water so I filled it up, he might have been a little shocked from that (I'll get him something better today). On one gill now you can't really tell there's distinct white spots but there's still something on them.
If anyone can recommend any medicine or tell me what might be wrong thatd be great. I've never had a betta and I haven't had goldfish in a while so I'm not too fish educated. Thank you

-charlotte
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #2 
youlovegnats

Wait...is he still in the cup!?

Please answer these questions as much as possible.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #3 
charlotte

yeah still in cup I got him late last night so I didn't have time to get anything and I wasnt sure if switching him into something bigger would be too stressful right away. I'll go today and get something

Housing
What size is your tank? still in cup
What temperature is your tank? not sure
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? top fin betta bits (if anyone could recommend a good food if thats not one thatd be great)
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? never yet
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? -
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? -

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I got him like this
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's just sitting at the bottom, he was swimming a little earlier
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? QuICK cure and this morning and some crumbs off a Fish Zole Forte pill my mom had
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?no clue
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

Wow, ok. Get him AT LEAST a 2.5 gal tank and a heater. A filter isn't a necessity, but can help lessen the water changes.
You need to to a 100% change on that poo water now and put him in something bigger (even a vase would do). Treat the new water with de-chlorinator.

If you could get pictures of his condition, that would help also.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #5 
Sakura8

A pic of his gills would really help. It's hard to tell just from the description because some bettas naturally have white spots on their gills. When you go to get your new guy a tank, be sure to pick up a heater for him. Any size tank over 1 gallon is fine but it's easier to find a heater for tanks 2 gallons and up. He'll probably be less stressed in a heated tank, although it's true he might have some moments of stress as he adjusts.

Your guy most likely has some ammonia poisoning going on because of the bad water he was in. I'm not sure what Quick Cure is but I recommend stopping treatment with that and with the Fish Forte thingee, too. Aquarium salt will help with his fins and that's most likely all you'll need. As long as you don't get live plants for his tank, you can treat him in that. The dosage of aquarium salt, which you can get at the pet store, is 1 tsp per gallon. Let the salt dissolve in a bit of tank water before pouring it in. For the next 5-10 days, change the water in his tank every day and redo the salt mixture. After ten days, stop the salt treatment. You will then want to start a regular schedule of water changes.

Depending on the size tank you get, you will want to do several water changes a week. For tanks 1 gallon and under, you want to do 90-100% changes every other day. For tanks 2-3 gallons, you will want to do one 50% and one 100% water change a week. For a 5 gallon tank, you will want to do one 25% and one 50% a week. Really, I can't emphasize enough the importance of the water change.

Top Fin is a pretty good pellet. Other good pellets are Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. You can usually find New Life at Petco. You might also want to pick up some freeze-dried and/or frozen bloodworms as a special treat.

I hope this info helps you. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post. And welcome to the forum.

OH yes. While at the pet store, pick up API Stress Coat to use as your water conditioner. You won't regret it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #6 
charlotte

So do it use all new water or put his water in there too? I thought changing their water completely could be bad but maybe thats just goldfish. We have a faucet with filtered water, one that goes through a water softener, and then hose water. Which should I use? I've heard different things about how they need some minerals so filtered water isn't good but I've seen some people saying to use it too. I'll try and take pictures
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Use tap water from your faucet but treat it with a dechlorinator first. Try and make it warmish but not too hot. So as not to shock your guy, pour out most of the water in his cup, leaving just enough for him to swim in. Slowly dribble in the new warm water, just a bit at a time, over several minutes, until the cup is full.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #8 
charlotte

Name:  IMG_2415.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  25.8 KB

on the left side you can see the white, moldy stuff on his gills. I'll try again but I couldn't really get a good picture of it

Name:  IMG_2411.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  32.0 KB

red gills
Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #9 
youlovegnats

The red is just his coloring.

Awww he's cute!
The moldy white stuff miigghhtt be a slime coat infection? It doesn't really look like ick or columnaris to me. :/
Sakura might know.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 
BlueEyes

Aw he's cute. Is it just me, or do his fins look a little rattie?

That's a fantastic orange color.
BlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote