Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #31 
Luimeril

those aren't really preset, but they keep the water "5F above room temp". i've heard it was a good heater, but i've never used it.

i hope the little guy does okay. if you can get him a 2 gallon Sterilite bin, they're wider than tall, so it'll be easier for him to reach the surface. x: i forget how much they cost, but i have Zidane in one, and it might be better for your boy, since he has trouble swimming up. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #32 
DarkMoon17

What a gorgeous betta!

Vases are ok, but just keep in mind that the larger the tank is, the fewer water changes they require per week. I haven't found any vases with the right dimensions to properly house bettas... Home Goods does sell large bowls though. There are 3 sizes, the medium and large ones are ok for bettas and they look nice too. IMO tanks are ideal though.

I am concerned about his gill. It does appear swollen. Get the Aquarium Salt asap and treat him as Sakura instructed. Make sure you are performing daily 100% while he is in his temporary home.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #33 
charlotte

Alright so I got a vase at home goods (funny you mentioned it darkmoon haha. the store near me has soo many!), its a cylinder and at least a gallon. He swims around slowly. I got API stress coat and API aquarium salt and put it in the water earlier. He has an airstone and I think he's improving. At least hes swimming around. He won't eat but Ive heard thats normal when theyre sick so hopefully he will soon. I couldn't find a heater small enough and I'm scared of burning him up so I'll either go look tomorrow or find one online.

So should I not use any medicine anymore? and how often/how much water should I change until he's better? and yeah I still think there's something up with the gills, I hope nothing too serious

here are some pictures of him in the new set up

Name:  IMG_2443.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2444.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  43.1 KB
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 AM   #34 
Sakura8

He looks so small in there, he must still be a young betta. Or that is one heck of a big vase. You'll want to put some tall plants in there, some that reach all the way up so he can rest in them near the surface.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #35 
bettaloverforever16

Sakura, your comment made me crack up. He does look so tiny in there! I'm sure he'll perk up in there with a heater, and some plants :)
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 AM   #36 
Sakura8

He's like, "Wow, is this the ocean? It's so big! I can stretch my fins!" O.O I love his little expression, he looks kind of overwhelmed. A real "pinch me, I'm dreaming" look. Although I guess maybe being a freshwater fish he'd be saying, "Is this the river?"
Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #37 
charlotte

hahah i hope hes that happy to be in it! i think the vase is about a gallon and a half. hes doing much better! i'm so happy the weird stuff on his gills is gone and hes been swimming around. a lot of the time i see him just sitting at the top or bottom but im hoping thats kind of normal. he still won't eat but today i gave him a piece of food and he tried eating but spit it out. before he wouldn't even pay any attention and just swim away like he was scared so i guess its improvement. thanks again for all your help, im sure i'll need more. for now i'm just thrilled things are looking up
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #38 
Sakura8

His food may have been too big or he may not have an appetite yet. Give it some time.