Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #1 
JadedMoon

Bacteria, Parasite or What??

I've had Apollo since March and about a month after I got him his belly started to swell. His belly has gotten huge, he has never wanted anything to do with pellets (I have the jungle anti parasite pellets). I have tried the pea trick thinking it could be constipation, not the case either, I also have an anti parasite gel that i would soak his flakes in but he won't eat enough of those. Apollo swims around as best he can, eats, poops but his belly won't go down and hasn't got any bigger but I'm concerned about him... any help would be great, thanks.
Attached Images

JadedMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you will copy and paste this information sheet and fill out....... it will help us help you and your Betta.......more info the better

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #3 
DarkMoon17

I'm thinking internal parasites judging by the size of his belly and the lack of swelling everywhere else but please fill out the form. There are a number of things that can cause bloating like that...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Poor guy, he looks pretty uncomfortable. I'm also thinking internal parasites. Tapeworms maybe?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #5 
JadedMoon

Housing
What size is your tank? 5gal

What temperature is your tank? 78-80 degrees

Does your tank have a filter? yes

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no

Is your tank heated? not since it's gotten hot out the heater has been unplugged

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 placostomis and 2 coris

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? alternated - Nutrafin Max flake,
Aqueon Tropical Flake (current). Have also used Ultra Cure PX gel-tek, 1-2 drops daily. (NOT ALL OF THESE DAILY, we have been trying to narrow down foods he will actually eat)

How often do you feed your betta fish? i feed the tank twice a day (morning and evening), the betta eats maybe once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once every 9-14 days, depending on water quality. (test strips)

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 30-50% of the water

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? leaf zone for the live plants in the tank, tried aquarium salt once, as per directions for freshwater

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
water is tested before each water change with API 5 in 1 test strips

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30-40
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 120
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated belly

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? less active, eating less, less pooping if at all

When did you start noticing the symptoms? sometime in april (feel bad because i didn't find this site till recently and just thought it was too much food)

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? have been trying to give him the jungle anti parasite pellets (he won't touch any pellets), since the pellets were a flop i have the gel form of the pellets and soak his flakes in it (that is the only way i have gotten him to take the treatments). On a whim, tried peas. Surprisingly he does like peas. Has not helped the bloating any, but we have seen a bit more poo.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? i bought him in April this year, about may i noticed that his belly started to bloat and only get bigger

How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure how old he is, i bought him in a pet store in april
Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Water quality and poor stocking looks to be the biggest problem IMO.....

I would get the Betta in a small QT container and start Epsom salt (not aquarium salt) and tannins along with 100% daily water changes...

Due to your nitrate reading-once you have him in QT-make 25% water changes with the premixed treatment water every hour for 4 hours...then start the 100% daily...you want to count the first day of treatment with tomorrows 100%...he needs this treatment for 10-14 days....it may take 6-7 days to see any improvement if any...hope its not too late.......

Hold food for 2 days-then offer small amounts of fresh crushed garlic laced Betta food several times a day...if you have mosquito larva-offer a few of them daily.

Premixed treatment water: In a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this steep to a amber color and the salt to dissolve...shake well before use......use this premixed water for the water changes

Cover the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap with a single hole poked in it...this is to help retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ

You want to maintain a water temp in the 75-76F range

The 5gal tank is not big enough to meet the need of other species of fish along with the Betta-the pleco unless it is a common type needs at least 20g for the smallest type of pleco-like the BN...if it is the common type...it needs over 100gal since they can get over 2ft
Corydora-do best in schools of at least 5 and need 10gal or larger with smooth substrate for the delicate barbels
Neither the pleco or corydora tolerate salt-so be careful with its use

Long term salt is not recommended or needed with Betta splendens-long term use can cause kidney damage and resistants...its great for short term treatments when used for the right reason, dosage and duration....with over use..... the effectiveness for treatment is limited and may not work....

Good luck and keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-20-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #7 
JadedMoon

thanks and i hope it's not too late either. the pleco is maybe an inch long and won't get any bigger same with the corys that are in the tank. I have my betta in a plastic specimen container that hangs on the side of the tank... but i have it hanging inside the take. i have a 2.5 gal tank i could set up if i can make space for it to treat the betta. will post more either way the betta takes to the treatment.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

What kind of pleco is that....none that I am aware of that stay that small...the BN the smallest that I know of get 4-6inch......sure its not an otto that you have.....

Good that you have him QT...you also need to start making small volume water changes on the 5gal with vacuum to get the nitrate under 20ppm...its just a matter of time before things go bad...can you get ammonia reading......good luck.....
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #9 
JadedMoon

I'm not entirely sure what kind of pleco it is, but it is a yellow one with red eyes.

I don't have a vaccum (not sure how much they are so i'm not sure that i could afford one), I just use a cup and a bowl to take out water... not sure how to get the ammonia reading since it's not on the test strips I have... probably get some for ammonia later today.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #10 
JadedMoon

forgive this rather dumb question but what exactly is tannis?