Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 
Frizandi

Exclamation Our New Little Friend

Hello there!

I haven't been here in a while because all was moving along pretty well, but I think I need some advice.

Yesterday my daughter and I bought 2 new bettas to keep us company. We intentionally bought the rattiest betta we could, because we figured nobody else would, and maybe we could give him some quality of life here.

George has very little color. He is kind of pinkish-brown, and his tail looks like it's been through a lot. He's very small and a little skittish. He stays mostly towards the top of the tank with his sad little tail all fanned out.

He is living in a 2.5 gallon tank with a gentle filter, thermometer, ammonia meter, heater, and some decorations. I have pellets and dried bloodworms to feed him.

I have two questions, actually. What can I do to optimize his chances of survival? I've already dechlorinated the water and added some Stress Coat before I put him in.. Is there anything else I can do to support him?

My other question is, how can I lower the temperature of the tanks, I have 2 tanks and they are running about 90 degrees. I've unplugged the heaters, but it's still very warm in the tanks. What can I do?

Please help! We want George and Ringo to have long, wonderful lives!
Attached Images

Frizandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #2 
bettaloverforever16

It looks like he has a mild case of Fin Rot, but that may be natural coloring. Are the tips of his tail black?
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Normally we suggest you put questions like this in the disease and emergency forums.

For the hot temps I would put a couple (maybe 2-3) ice cubes in a zip lock bag and float that in the tank. Some people suggest putting them in the tank, but you have to remember, they haven't been treated with dechlorinator. I am unsure if there is any risk of shock, but 90 is really warm for them.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #4 
Frizandi

Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I wasn't sure if this qualified as an emergency.

I don't think the tips of his fins are black, but I'll try to get a closer look. He's really pretty small.

Thanks you for the advice on how to cool the water off. We seem to have extremes in this house. Too warm in the summer, too cold in the winter.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #5 
pumpkinspikepie

If you have dechlorinator and StressCoat (as in two separate bottles of chemicals), you don't have to use both as StressCoat alone includes dechlorinator. I personally use the StressCoat and I really like it. Otherwise, stabilizing the temperature around 76 to 80 degrees F will greatly increase their health and overall happiness. Good luck with your new boys!
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #6 
Frizandi

Happy fishies, happy ending!

George and Ringo are doing just great! They are really enjoying their new digs, and get very excited anytime somebody comes into the room. George is looking much better. He's more relaxed, MUCH less shy, and I think he's got a little more color. It's so nice to see them so happy. I don't really

They seem to be constantly hungry. We're trying not to overfeed them.

I only have one concern. The temperature in the tanks keeps going up and I have to keep icing them down (it's really kind of cute, actually. When I put the ice bags in the tanks the fish hang out right near them). Is there any way I can regulate the water temperature? I already have the heaters unplugged and moving the tanks is not really an option. We suffer from small apartment syndrome. Any ideas?

Thanks for your support and encouragement. I think they're happier fish because of all I've learned here!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I've heard of devices that will cool the water, but I believe they are rather expensive.

Glad to hear they're doing better. Are they giving you the feed me wiggle dance? Or the pouty I'm still hungry eyes?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #8 
JKfish

Your boys are beautiful :D

If you have a top on their tanks, take them off. If there are lights directly above the tanks, turn those off. :) If you just so happen to have a fan or something of the sorts, you could put it near the tank to try and blow cooler air on it. Try and keep the tanks in a shaded area. Good luck~
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #9 
masshiimarro

Another alternative is to just put a frozen water bottle into the tank. My friend has tried it with decent results. I havent tried it, but i heard it works :)
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #10 
Frizandi

Oh, they are doing the wiggle dance AND the pout. They're just so cute! I was trying to take pictures of them to post here, but they won't stay still.

I was somehow under the impression that betta fish can jump out of the tank if it's left open. Is that true, or just more misinformation? I've been trying to keep the tops open just a bit to let some of the heat out, but I'm afraid to leave the whole top off. When I was a kid, one of our angel fish jumped out of the tank and my mom accidentally sucked it up the vacuum cleaner. As you can see, I never forgot it.

Just want our new little babies to be safe. If taking the top off the tank is less risky than the water temperature going up, then off it goes!

Pictures to follow.....if they cooperate!

Andrea & The Menagerie....Kiwi the Tailless cat
Annabelle, the 20-year-old cancer survivor
Nutella the Guinea Pig
The four nameless stick bugs

George and Ringo, the New Babies