N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #2 
Luimeril

it does to me. :3

he looks like an HM, who dreams of being a Crowntail. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #3 
N03113

Yeah... his aspirations -.- Silly Sammich.... if I wanted a crowntail I would have bought one.

I'm so fearful of continued rot... checking daily. Though I've stopped the Melafix treatments... bloodworms weekly for healthy growth and aquarium salt when I do the weekly water changes.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

It looks like there is progress in some areas but it is also more ragged in others... There are still black tips so it is still rotting in areas... How long have you been treating him with the salt and at what dosage? What is the water change schedule?

In the future, avoid Melafix, it is not safe for bettas and other labyrinth fish. Tetracycline is a much better choice for stubborn fin rot, but salt is usually enough.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #5 
N03113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
It looks like there is progress in some areas but it is also more ragged in others... There are still black tips so it is still rotting in areas... How long have you been treating him with the salt and at what dosage? What is the water change schedule?

In the future, avoid Melafix, it is not safe for bettas and other labyrinth fish. Tetracycline is a much better choice for stubborn fin rot, but salt is usually enough.
little bit over 50% Water changes weekly. and 3/4 tsp of aquarium salt. (3 gallon tank, syphon out 1.5 gallons exchange and salt is added into new water with conditioner.) I've been treating him for about 2 weeks now. Melafix was only added for the course of 5 days.

Should I add Tetracycline? I've been trying to go the salt is enough route, but how long until I pull out the big guns? I've heard that treating fin rot can go on for months even under the best of water conditions. :(

Last edited by N03113; 07-20-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Quote:
he looks like an HM, who dreams of being a Crowntail
Sounds like my HM who is also blue but is a tail biter

Yeah, some parts look better and others look worse to me too.
If it were me, I would do daily water changes, AQ salt and add stress coat. It works as a water conditioner but also has aloe and helps with fin regrowth. Oh and a heater is good too My AQ salt says to use 1 TSP per gallon but im afriad of using too much so I only use 1 tsp per 3 gallons.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #7 
Silverfang

I second tikibirds advice, extra water changes are his best cure
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

For the salt treatment to be effective you need to dose it in therapeutic levels.....a good starting point is 1tsp/gal....water changes are also an important part of the treatment....100% daily using premixed treatment water...adding tannin can also help with the healing process....
Treatment are best done while in a small QT container with premixed treatment water to ensure correct dosage...

Nutrition is a big issues for tissue regeneration....high protein, high quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals......

You have to give the fish the tools to heal and build a strong immune response.......

With a health Betta to start that has fin damage....healing and regrowth should only take 3-5 days with full recovery within 2 weeks.....however, depending on the degree of damage the fins may not return to their full glory....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #9 
N03113

I needed more conditioner anyways, so I got some stresscoat...

And I also got the tetracycline... If he is the only inhabitant in the 3gallon tank, do I really need to do the treatment in a QT? I can do a QT, but I read on the tetracycline that there needs to be water flow (minus the activated carbon)

Will the tetracycline adversely effect the plants I have in there?

@Tikibirds - there is a heater in the tank it's a consistent 79F.

Will the tetracycline decycle or reset the cycle in my tank if I do not use a QT? The tank has been cycled... no ammonia readings, no nitrate readings, PH is in normal range, and normal nitrate readings (last I checked it was 10ppm) and I check these daily especially since the incident with an unknown "friend" who caused all this.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

Before jumping to Tetracycline you should try using salt at a full dose and increasing water changes. Treat with 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt and perform daily 100% water changes. As OFL lady said, it will be much easier to premix the salt in a 1 gal jug of dechlorinated water. QT him in a small plastic container (the one he came in works) and float it in his tank so it stays warm. Use an extra container to warm clean premixed water by floating it in the tank as well. If you use your Stress Coat as the dechlorinator that will aid his fin repair.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote