Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #1 
DazedBetta

breeding need help

my male and female have now been in the breeding tank for a few hours short of a day this is my first breeding attempt they both showed signs male was all showing off and body rolling and flaring up the female had stripes and was head standing and trying to chase after the male whenever he left her side i released the female only a little bit after putting her into the lantern they're tanks before the lantern were next to each other for a few days so thought id be able tp release her the male chased after her and she hid and this went on for a while then they calmed down and everything seemed a better well the male has now stopped tending to his bubble nest and its fading now theres only a quarter of an inch down the entire cup...what should i do?
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you may have kept her in the lantern too long.....how is your spawning tank set up....

Is she still in the tank with him.....you can either leave her in the tank and give them some more time as long as they are not killing each other or remove both from the spawning tank to separate container so they can't see each other for 3-4 days and mass feed them with live foods and start over.....if you have your spawning tank setup with lots of floating plants this will work as a natural separator to keep the female safe....

Every spawn can be different or vary.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #3 
DazedBetta

well she wasnt in the lantern to long but their tanks were next to each other for a little less then a week so that makes sence that were togeter to long.... the spawning tank is a 10gal tank on the left side there is a mixture of 2 live plants and 3 fake plants all together it covers what id call a 1/3 to a 1/4 of the tank in the middle its empty with the heater laying in the water then the far right side has a cup for the males bubble nest. the fish are currently together and have been for the day and a halfish at first the male instintly chased the female and didnt seem vilolent but the way the female acted she fled and hid i dont think shes ever been breed before and just got scared now ill see the male come up to her and they'll stare at each other then the female will run without contact and ill see the male dancing sometimes but the female doesnt seem to be interested shes showing all the signs tho....everyone so far has said give them more time but i think if nothing happens by tommarow night im gonna seperate them again and leave them apart for about a week while feeding them live foods and then try again. does that sound like it would work
Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like a plan....with spawning sometimes you have tweak things during the process....you don't want to leave them too long but not separate too soon either.....once you learn and understand the body language with more experience the easier it can get...but then again....these guys can really keep you on your toes...laffs......

Pre-condition is really important for both of them...the female often gets left out and she is more important than the male IMO.....

Understand and find the spawning triggers....food, water quality and temp, day length are all important to help make this process easier

Since you have live foods...what kind.....anyway....mass feed live foods, mosquito larva work great for this....instinct tell the fish that when they have lots of good quality foods....its time to reproduce.....longer days-time to reproduce, sudden water temp changes to mimic rain, tannins in the water to simulate native habitat...etc......can all help trigger spawning.....

Lots of live plants in the tank or even silk will work....more the better-you want it hard for the male to get through them but not the female so she can get away and rest....she will go to him when she is ready to spawn swimming in the head down position usually-while he is swimming in the "S" pattern leading her to the nest.....

Spawning behaviors can vary from spawn to spawn even with the same pair.......
Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #5 
DazedBetta

i dont have to much live food i only got bloodworms then i got frozen brine shrimp and then i got live baby brine shrimp havnt cultured them yet but got everything set up tho i was planing on using them for fry...im going to seperate them shortly here now i have noticed that the female is missing what looks like 1 scale on her side might be 2 tho... what would be the best way to help her try and heal up a bit? i wanna give her time to rest and fully recover before i attempt again...i might just get another female and then by time i get the new female set up and ready i can recondtion the 2 females and the male and try again then switch out the female.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How are they behaving toward each other right now-is she stressed...if not...wait a little longer.....not uncommon to have missing scale and nip fins during the spawning process...what is the water temp, tank full to the top or half full of water....

Other foods will work too...how long did you condition them and how much, what kind of food used...
Old 07-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 
DazedBetta

right now they sit apart for a while then id see the male come look at the female and she will turn away and slowly swim till he starts following then she'll take off (she is rele rele fast) she doesnt seem stressed i can see her stripes and notice a head stand a cople of times and it appears as if shes full of eggs

the tank is half filled they were condtioned for about a 1 and a halfish weeks give or take a day they were condtioned with BS and BW and id throw a pellet in every so often just cause the female is picky and doesnt like them so thought id try and introduce them more during condtioning water temp moves from 79-81 ish mainly about 80
Old 07-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I would leave them together a little longer...give them time...as long as neither are stressed or badly injured......give-em time.....
Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #9 
DazedBetta

the bubblenest is almost completly gone now theres a little bit left along the edge of the cup tho
Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't worry about the bubble nest...some males will wait until they have eggs in their mouth before they start one and then only enough to encase the egg until they finish spawning...then they will build one...I have had males never build a nest....left the eggs floating on the surface......