Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #1 
copperarabian

Alucard has DROPSY! Help :(

tomorrow I'm going to buy some Epson salt, but I'm not really sure how to treat dropsy(I'm searching the web right now for it) :( I'm really worried, I've only heard sad story's about bettas with dropsy and mine is laying on his side and only moves to get air. I've moved him into a cup from petco and when I get the epson salt I'm moving him into a wide low container....

I've been gone all day, and he was fine in the morning, and this is him at the end of the day D:

Here's a overhead pic of him
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Two of my sister's giants have dropsy right now.

Combine Maracyn 1 and 2 with an aggressive dose of epsom salt and keep the tank as dark as possible. Parasite medication might help, but he doesn't look like he would ever have parasites.

Tetracycline might help too. We're using that instead of Maracyn 2 since our Petsmart didn't sell it.

Unfortunately, chances are he won't make it if he's already pineconing, but I really hope he does.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 07-20-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #3 
Sakura8

If he's eating, try Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. If he's not, Maracyn I and II as Pataflafla said. Epsom salts would be 2 tsp per gallon to start with. I hope he gets better, poor guy. Is he constipated by any chance?

It's the metrodinazole (can never spell that) in the Anti-Parasite pellets that work against bacterial infections.

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-20-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #4 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Two of my sister's giants have dropsy right now.

Combine Maracyn 1 and 2 with an aggressive dose of epsom salt and keep the tank as dark as possible. Parasite medication might help, but he doesn't look like he would ever have parasites.

Tetracycline might help too. We're using that instead of Maracyn 2 since our Petsmart didn't sell it.

Unfortunately, chances are he won't make it if he's already pineconing, but I really hope he does.
aww, how soon do they usually start pine coning, was mine really fast compared to normal?

Quote:
Sakura8 If he's eating, try Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. If he's not, Maracyn I and II as Pataflafla said. Epsom salts would be 2 tsp per gallon to start with. I hope he gets better, poor guy. Is he constipated by any chance?
The food I gave him this morning hadn't been eaten, and I don't know if he's constipated but the cup is bare so I'll be able to tell if he is or not after a while.

Thanks, I'm going to get those meds tomorrow morning so I can start treating him as soon as I can.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #5 
Ashleigh

HELLSING FISH!!!! :D Alucard's such a cool name, hope he gets better D':
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #6 
Sakura8

He's pineconing a little, just a little. I think he's got a chance. You might want to PM DarkMoon17 and ask her if she thinks he needs both Maracyn I and II or just Maracyn II.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #7 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
He's pineconing a little, just a little. I think he's got a chance. You might want to PM DarkMoon17 and ask her if she thinks he needs both Maracyn I and II or just Maracyn II.
ok, I'll go do that now
Old 07-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #8 
bettaloverforever16

Hope he gets better :(
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #9 
fightergirl2710

I can't say much about medication, when Cleo got dropsy I used tetracycline at first but it didn't help, she got better and then got worse and I had to put her down, I think most bacterial strains are too evolved because of tetracycline abuse.. I would use the pellets Sakura spoke about, they're the ones with the metro I was talking about in the other thread, Darkmoon used them on her goldfish with dropsy and it cured it :).. Put lots of tannins in his water with the epsom.. Make it as dark as you can, like tea... I hope he gets better soon!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #10 
Sakura8

What do you think of his pineconing, Fighter?