Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #21 
copperarabian

@Pataflafla D: That sucks! On the sites I've been reading a lot of them have penicillin listed as meds for dropsy, I think I would ask some of the more experienced people on the forum (like OFL) about it first.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #22 
Sakura8

Ditto what Copper said about the Maracyn. And I know you can buy amoxicillin and penicillin on fosterandsmithaquatics.com but I would be hesitant to use it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #23 
fightergirl2710

I don't think Ofl uses allopathic treatments, she goes with natural.. If you want allopathic, I suggest asking Darkmoon..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #24 
Tikibirds

I do not recall seing half of these meds at petco. Does the packing say Maracyn or is it just an ingredient used in certain meds? All i ever see are Betta revive and melefix.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #25 
fightergirl2710

Maracyn is the name of the medicine, I think its ingredients are antibiotics like tetracycline and erithromycin...
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Yeah, what Fighter said. Petco doesn't carry medicines, only Petsmart as far as I know.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #27 
DarkMoon17

Sorry to hear about Alucard, let's see what we can do for him. It looks like this is a very aggressive infection judging by how quickly he got sick...

Maracyn II contains Minocycline which is one of the few anti-bacterials that have shown success against the bacteria that cause Dropsy. It's not about the name of the medication, it's all about the active ingredients. Make sure you get "Maracyn II" not Maracyn or Maracyn-Oxy. They all have very different ingredients. Jungle's anti-parasite pellets can be found at most Petsmarts and are one of the few sources of oral Metronidazole which is also important for fighting dropsy. If you can not find those pellets you can buy Metro tablets at your local Veterinarian. Some specialized pet stores might sell them as well. Try offering him frozen bloodworms. It is important the he eats. You can soak pellets in garlic juice so they taste better. Garlic is also a natural anti-parasitic/anti-bacterial.

I have found that Erythromycin (the active ingredient in Maracyn and API Erythromycin) and Tetracycline are not effective against Dropsy.
For treating him:
Daily 100% water changes (QT him)
Increase temp to 82-84*F to support his immune system
Epsom Salt at 3tsp/gal since he has already begun pineconning
Maracyn II
Jungle's anti parasite pellets OR pure Metronidazole
Lots of tannins
Keep his tank dark

Good luck and please keep us posted.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #28 
Sakura8

Yay for Dr. DarkMoon!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #29 
copperarabian

Alucard was dead when I got home from the store this morning :( I can't believe it killed him in 24 hours, I was so sure I would have a little more time with him :(

He started showing the symptoms Tuesday morning when I noticed he didn't eat his food, he was acting perfectly healthy otherwise, when I got home around 5/6pm he was acting lethargic(food still there) but still swimming some and I noticed a little pine coning, 10 minutes later I have him in a cup and in another 30 minutes he's laying completely on his side :(

I've already given my 10g a 100% water change, and the other 3 guys seem to be fine, but I was thinking I should treat them with the meds for 5 days(what the instructions said) since it killed Alucard so fast, would that be a good idea or should I save it in case they actually get sick.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #30 
Pataflafla

My sister's green copper died too, the one that wasn't pineconed when we started treatment. The blue marble is still hanging in there at the moment, but probably won't make it.

Sorry to hear about Alucard. Seems like there's a spike in dropsy cases now.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote