Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which Livebearer For My Tank?
Guppies 4 66.67%
Platies 2 33.33%
Something else entirely 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Livebearers For a 10g

So far I have four very small Panda cories in there, with plans on getting another two. The cories will never get more than 1.75" and have a small bioload so no worries there. I may put one of my girls or one of my boys in there, but never more than one betta if I do put one in (so I wouldn't try to do a sorority or anything like that). I'd love some livebearers so I can get some fry but I'm torn between guppies and platies. I'm worried the platies might get too big but some people have had bad experiences with guppies. Opinions, advice anyone?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 AM   #2 
bettaloverforever16

I would say guppies :)
bettaloverforever16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:15 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Hehe, they're so pretty, aren't they? But I also like wagtail platies. Grr, too many choices!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Anyone know how often danios breed? And how easily?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #5 
fightergirl2710

Danios aren't live bearers, I have no idea how they breed.. Livebearers just need food and they'll breed.. lol! I gave away the mollies because, tooo many babies! I have 25 babies now X(
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

Ya, Danios are egg layers. And savages in the tank lol They do need more than 3-4 to keep them from pestering other fish. Mine are very territorial.

Personally, my favorite and easiest small group (in a 10gal) is my Swordtails. I just love love love them! I'm thinking of having my full 29g just for them! Platies and Mollies tend to be the same? Mine are so full of personality, such a calm fish. I have 4 females (2 red wags, 1 marigold, 1 orange) and a male (black with blue shimmer) and I adore them :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #7 
fightergirl2710

I think swordtails are a type of platy.. Platies are cute but personally, I'm never keeping live bearers again, unless its for turtle food, my tank went haywire with the babies! The mollies ate half their fry and I still have 25 left! Lol! They need some sex ed!
I like danios but I don't think I'd keep them with bettas.. They're total spazzes! I had some with my turtle, she grew up and ate all except one :(.. Tried getting it some friends but she just ate them again and I still have the same one left! Grr..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

The Swords are my only live bearers, all the females are holding now. I'm just letting nature take it's course! The other fish will snack on them, I hope a few make it. But I'm not going to actually save the batch lol
Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #9 
Sakura8

I knew danios weren't livebearers but I had heard they bred like crazy. But I also had heard they were super hyper so I wasn't sure. Mollies and swordtails both get too big. Hmmmmm. Hehe, I can't believe your mollies multiplied faster than Handsome could eat them, Fighter. And the poor lonely danio.

I was thinking if the livebearers produced too much I'd chuck the adults over the fence into the neighbor's koi pond. Just kidding, not really but I do know guppies are hardy and can live outdoors in cooler temps. I had planned to raise some on the patio this year but never got around to setting a tub up.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #10 
Pitluvs

My swords are the same size as my danios O_o