Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 04:56 AM   #1 
Sakura8

FYI: Fruit Tetras as Seen at Wal-Mart

I had seen Fruit Tetras at my Wal-Mart several times and when I got a second 10g, I considered a few to go along with my panda cories because they were pretty. Hit the web to do research.

Guess what? So-called Fruit Tetras are just dyed - yes, dyed - White Skirt Tetras. Dying is a cruel process and what's worse, the color fades after a couple of months anyway. So if anyone out there was thinking of getting some Fruit Tetras as tankmates for their betta, look elsewhere. Just thought I'd pass this info along in case anyone else had seen them and thought about getting a few.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #2 
fightergirl2710

I hate it when they dye those poor fish.. They tattoo it on and do all sorts of horrid things, like remove the slime coat and dip them in dye X(.. In fact even a lot of white skirts are "painted" on top of black.. I feel so sad when I see those blood parrots with stripes and lipstick. Its so grotesque :(..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #3 
diablo13

Ya, my LFS sells fruit tetras, i feel really sorry for them and wanted to rescue them, but that would just put more fish in their posistion :(
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Fish really get the bum end of the stick. It's okay to do all sorts of things to a fish but once, some lady dyed her poodle pink using an all-natural wash-out hair dye and she made the evening news she was in so much trouble with animal rights groups.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

This is why I like my plain ol Danios.. thankfully Glo fish are not legal here :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Not legal in California either. They sell the Glofish tank but not the Glofish and places aren't allowed to ship them here. Although technically Glofish aren't dyed, they're genetically altered. But still, I like 'em as nature intended 'em. As if a plain old Zebra danio wasn't splashy already.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #7 
diablo13

I agree, though I wanted to say, Glofish were actually meant to detect toxins in water, which is horrible, but eventually they made them totally neon. But current ones aren't mutated, since the color is what they're born with now
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Right, weren't they trying to mimic the red nose of a Rummynose Tetra? The nose gets washed out if the water quality is poor but bright when it's good. I love Rummynoses but I'm holding out on getting some until I can talk my mom into a big tank. I want a big school of them, more than will fit in a 10g.

Fortunately, I have not seen any dyed Indian Glassfish around here. I hear there's a real problem with dying/painting them. I feel sorry for the poor Fruit Tetras and even sorrier for the poor sap who buys them without researching them, then ends up with a washed-out, unhealthy fish a few months down the road.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #9 
diablo13

My mom wanted a fruit tetra for her birthday,and a specific tank( 1.8 gallons). So, as you all know, the only thing that could maybe fit comfortably in there would be guppies or a female betta. And at the store, they had a school of fruit tetras, in the same tank she wanted!!!! But, we went to petco, and we saw Liberty( who I had my eye on for a month) and we got her :)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Yay! A happy ending for all. Plus I think skirt tetras get big. If the Fruit Tetras haven't had their growth stunted from being dyed.