Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 
Petunia87

Betta help? Is she sick or am I just being paranoid

Sorry for always coming here to ask for help everytime I turn around and think something is wrong, but I guess I'd rather be proactive. Last week my female "lost" her left pectoral fin so I started adding stress coat and doing daily 50% water changes. Then I had to leave to go to a funeral and had someone taking care of her. They just fed her (I was gone for 3 days). I got home last night, did a normal tank clean and added some aqurium salt. Just did a 50% water change. Now for the second day in a row I have noticed what I can't decide is either poop or a parasite. I have had her for a year and never noticed her pooping before which scares me into thinking its a parasite. She had one yesterday but it was gone after about an hour. Now she has the same thing and has had it for the past hour. I have included some pictures. Please help me.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80-82 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Max pellets and Top Fin bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times a day (2 pellets 5 days a week, 1 day of 2 bloodworms 1x a day and 1 day of no food)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 time a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% (plus gravel vac)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Symptoms and Treatment (See above)
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No real changes. She may be skinnier through the top part of her but that could be me just looking for things to worry about
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Has not
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? She was already on stress coat and aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Getting over her pectoral fin being lost
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1- 1 1/2
Attached Images

Petunia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #2 
Sakura8

I'm thinking parasite. Can you find Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets? Those are good for clearing out internal parasites.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 
Petunia87

What stores are they typically at? I live in a big city so I have all the normal petstores available to me. I have a 1 gallon tank I can move her into tomorrow morning. Should I put her in that once I get the mediciated pellets? It doesn't have a heater b/c its so small but I live in AZ so it is pretty warm in my apartment and I can put her temp gauge in there. I feel bad I am always pestering people with questions but I can't have a dog in my apartment so she is my only pet.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Don't feel bad, we love to help here on the forum. A 1g would be a good QT for her, keep it barebottom so you can see things if they drop.

I haven't seen any medicated foods at my Petsmart or Petco to be honest but you may have better luck at yours. If you know of a local fish store, you can check there too. If you can't find the medicated pellets, get API General Cure, I believe that will help too. Also, you may want to see if you can find some frozen daphnia. Daphnia is good for purging.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #5 
Petunia87

So with the pellets do I just feed them like normal food? Do I need to take her out of her 5 gallon if I am feeding those? Because I googled them and it said you feed them 3 days a week for 4 weeks on their website. Or should I be putting her into a 1 gallon and doing 100% water changes every day no matter what? How long do I keep her in the 1 gallon for?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #6 
Sakura8

I'd follow the instructions on the food bottle for feeding or PM DarkMoon17 for dosing/feeding advice. I guess you feed her regular food the other times. Since you'll want to do 75-100% water changes a day to get rid of any parasites she drops, you may want to keep her in the 1g just to make it easy. I know, four weeks sounds like a long time, though, so that's why I'd suggest asking DarkMoon for dosing advice. Definitely put her in the 1g if you have to use General Cure, though.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #7 
Petunia87

Ok I will investigate tomorrow. Thank you so much for all your help. It is now about 3 hours later and she still hasn't dropped it so I am thinking it is def a parasite :( My poor little girl.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Yeah. I mean, it's true they can carry poo around for a while but poo doesn't usually curl the way it is in the photos. Poor girl is right. I'm sure we can get her back up to 100% soon, though.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #9 
Petunia87

So I have moved her into a 1 gallon QT tank and added 1 tsp of epsom salt and her 2 favorite plants so she still has some thing to do. I just tried feeding her the Jungle Anti-Parasite fish food but it is to big for her to eat and even when I crush it up she isn't eating the whole pellet (just a tiny bit of it). Should I keep trying that or go ahead and do the API general cure instead.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #10 
fightergirl2710

It's the same as what my boy has! Hope she gets well soon :) Best of luck!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote