Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #1 
CoverMeInClay

List of your tank mates please

I'm pondering when I do get a new tank if I should keep it strictly a sorirrity, or if I should incude tank mates. I've also thought of splitting the tank. Nothing is decided beyond the sorority. Tank size is also not decided upon. The only other fish I consistantly see being a companion is cory cats. If anyone who has tank mates with their betta wouldn't mind posting who's getting along i would appreciate it. Thank you!
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #2 
Loralyn94

Unfortunately I dont think my tank mate experience will help you much. I have a male betta, a ghost shrimp (there were originally three, one committed suicide, the other was killed?), and a mystery snail. I've heard cory's do okay with bettas.

I hope you come to a good conclusion though. Post back with your final decision for sure and let us know how it goes!
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

I've only had tank mates once, and that was with my old man Joey back in 2005. I had silver dollars and a pleco :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #4 
LittleBettas

I just have ghost shrimp, I find them really cute and interesting to watch - both of my shrimp and my female betta Tihs LOVE peas, she tears them apart and they all share- some bettas can view them as food though

I have heard platies do really well with bettas and they come in pretty colors, on a plus, since they give birth to live babies, additional nutrition is provided for your betta,
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #5 
CoverMeInClay

I've heard both that Platies do well, and then I've also heard they are fin nippers. *sighs* All I know for sure is the sorority. I'm leaning towards some Panda Coreys since they stay small, but I have to do some more research first. i will keep you all posted. Thanks for your posts! ^_^
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #6 
copperarabian

In my sorority I have a African Butterfly fish, a Blue gourami, and a dragon Goby. Don't get a Dragon Goby though, I'm transferring it to a brackish tank after I upgrade my cichlid tank.
A lot of people have platy's, neons, African dwarf frogs and Molly's, but personally I wouldn't get molly's because they are also brackish.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #7 
CoverMeInClay

Thanks Copper!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #8 
Shimizoki

I am setting up a sorority, I don't yet have any bettas in it just the tank mates. I am using fish that I have read cause no problems with bettas.

4 Ottos
3 Cory Cats
11 Neon Tetras

I'm then going to add 10 or so females and my tank will be good to go.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #9 
VegaFrankieTwee

Smile Tankly Heaven

I currently have a 10 gallon with a female betta, one molly, and one pleco.
They get allong fine. Once in a while my betta (Vega) will chase my molly (Twee) around a bit but there is no sign of true agression in it.

Plus the big thing to keep in mind is every betta is different. Also that most bettas are raised alone and are not used to others in close proximities. Its fun to watch them get used to it lol :)
VegaFrankieTwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #10 
Nexangelus

I usually stick with Albino Corys (1.5 -2 inches), Neon Tetras (1.5 inches), and Amano Shrimp (1.5+ inches).

There are good recommendations above, but some (like the pleco) will absolutely outgrow the tank. Some people are okay with that, but I like to keep my fish for a long time. I've had horrible luck with ghost shrimp. Seems like even once my betta is used to them he'll get cranky and assassinate one. Amanos are too big to mess with. Neons can tick fish off occasionally, but they're far too fast to be killed and your betta will quickly learn it's not worth it to chase them.
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote