Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #1 
BlueBetta17

Exclamation Spawning not working?

So my friend decided to try and breed two of her veil tails. The temp is right in the tank, and she is using a 5gal for them to breed in. She kept the female in a cup next to the tank for two days while the male built a bubble nest. Conditioning was done, and she was put in with the male today. She has eggs in her for sure - she has the vertical stripes and looks fat. Well she destroyed part of the nest and so the male took the time to rebuild, making an even larger nest. They have been in the tank together for about 3 hours, and he keeps chasing her and then goes to work on the nest again. When he chases her, he flares and charges at her and then she darts away. A few times he has tried to slowly approach her and she darts again. She is about 7 months old, and he is almost a year old. Any advice? Should she just separate them? No fins have been nipped or damage done.
BlueBetta17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like normal pre-spawn behavior.....but, need some more information....

In the 5gal-what is in the tank...substrate, plants-live or fake and how many, hiding places, water level, filter, nest site, additives used...etc.....as much info as possible...a pic would help...generally what is the spawning method she is using....

How did she condition the breeders-type/amount of foods, how often, how long did she condition them and did she do anything else to condition like water changes....etc.....

How long has she had/owned them
Does she know and understand normal behaviors in general an spawning behaviors that can be seen
Water temp
Feeding and housing plans for the fry
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #3 
BlueBetta17

There isn't any gravel at the bottom (she wanted to make sure he could find the eggs). There isn't really any place for her to hide aside from floating plants. When the fry get older she plans to keep them in the 5gal until they get older, then she is going to cup/jar and sell them. She has already bought food for the fry. The tank is currently at 78 degrees and she planned on keeping the male in there until 2-4 days after the fry are born. The plants in the breeding tank are live, and she has the water level about 6-7 inches from the bottom. When she conditioned them she fed them dried blood worms most of the time and pellets like twice during the week they were conditioned. I don't think she understands their spawning behavior, but she does know more about it than me but she is not a member of the site. She has had the male for about 7 months and the female for 2 months. Sorry I can't provide a pic, I'm talking to my friend through texting.

Should she still keep them together and see what happens? If so how much longer should she wait?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would give them more time...as long as they are not trying to kill each other or neither are overly stressed.....

Good that she is doing the bare bottom method...this is the best way for first time breeders

I would get the temp up to at least 80F

I would have lots and lots of live floating plants in the tank and I would even fill it to the top since most 5gal are not that deep anyway...this will give more volume to help with water quality

Depending on the number of fry-the 5gal may not be big enough for grow-out...the fry could end up stunted.....lots of water changes will be needed to help keep the stunting hormone levels low

If she doesn't already have them...adding some common snail will help provide some live food from the infusoria they can create and help removal of uneaten foods....

If they haven't spawned by the time its time for normal lights out and they are not stressed or trying to kill each other....feed them well and turn off the light like normal...if they have been properly conditioned and healthy to start they may spawn at first light tomorrow

And she needs to start doing some more research and reading so she will have a better understanding of what to expect and proper feeding and care of the fry....

You need to get her to join the forum......
Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #5 
BlueBetta17

I told her about the forum this morning and that started this whole conversation of her telling me she was going to attempt spawning. Would the two be okay together overnight without him killing her?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Hard to say 100% if either will be safe and live through the night.......but if the tank has lots of live plants for them to get away from each other...they should be fine.....darkness they tend to be less active...its first thing in the morning at first light when most things happen....either spawning, killing each other or nothing at all....hard to say......good luck and have her join and post some pics....have you posted any pic of your Bettas.....like to see them too......