Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 04:32 AM   #1 
Pataflafla

Giants From Walmart

Has anyone else had bad luck with the giants from Walmart. My sister has bought a total of 4 and so far 3 have had or are going through dropsy. The first female we bought because she looked healthy, but she soon developed dropsy and passed away because she jumped out of her tank.

Now we have a green copper and a blue marble that both have dropsy. One is already pineconing pretty bad and the other one is just bloating for no reason. They're both on treatment and we hope they survive.

Are giants genetically predisposed to bacterial infections or something? We've only ever had dropsy with giants and they've all been from walmart since our Petsmart doesn't sell them.

I know Walmart conditions are generally terrible, but is it something other than poor care since the two females who have dropsy were only there less than a week?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #2 
copperarabian

are those really giants? I thought they where female kings/half giants.

I saved one girl from wallmart, she's like 1/4 bigger then my largest HM female, I really wish petco carried female kings....
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

Well, they're the biggest females we've ever seen, but we're starting to think they're 1/2s because of the three regular girls we bought a while ago. We introduced the white giant, who doesn't have dropsy, and they're not too much smaller than her. The white on is the biggest of the three too.

I think the first one we bought was a true king because we compared her to our full grown veil tail and she was quite a bit bigger than him, and he was the biggest betta we had at the time.

I think it's just going to be a rule that we automatically do a light treatment for bacteria and parasites any time we get girls from Walmart because they've all had problems with it.

The males usually just tend to be ammonia burns and poisoning, but they never have king males.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

Here was the first king betta we got from Walmart. Shortly afterwards she became lethargic and developed popeye and cloudy eye. Treatment for those did nothing and she soon started to pinecone. Eventually she jumped out of her treatment tank, which fixed the pineconing temporarily, but died a few hours later.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #5 
copperarabian

wow she is huge, that's sad she didn't make it :( The wallmart girl I saved who's being adopted by a friend of mine is doing ok, she's not all that active but I have her near my 10g and when the males come down she sometimes flares at them lol

I'm off to bed, later
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I have often wondered why walmart females looked so large to me...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #7 
Luimeril

they could be Plakats. my PK, Lulu, is bigger than most of my males, in body.

i'm sorry your girls got sick. D:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Giants are said to be unstable both genetically and physically. Genetically they are recessive - even giant x giant spawns don't produce 100% giants. And physically, their immune system is rather poor. The most common cases are, swollen head/face (external parasites), sudden death (breathing system infected), and digestive issues (dropsy and flagelata).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

Hm. Well, that is very interesting. Maybe they'll best be kept as singular fish in super clean tanks. The blue marble unfortunately will not be making it past any more than a day or two now. She's completely vertical.

The green copper is doing a little better since we caught her before she pineconed. Hopefully she'll survive.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Giants also must be fed only live or frozen foods. Dried or pelleted foods cause issues in their intestines that can ultimately lead to death. I'm forgetting what they're called at this moment but if I remember I'll get back to this thread.

Anyways I don't think the female you posted is a true giant.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote