Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #11 
Wolfcub81

I pulled the plants out last night. I will try to get more in there soon. His tank looks too empty. I have a question about the water change. How long do I need to let the conditioner sit in the new water before I add it to the tank? How do I make sure it is the same temp? Do I buy another thermometer for just the water changes? Thanks for all the advice so far.
Wolfcub81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #12 
Neil D

You could take mr betta out for 20min, put warm-ish water in, give it the time to heat up or cool down. Then put the betta in.

For water conditioner: option 1)
put water in a bucket one day before, and add the conditioner. Wait over night then do the WC the following day.

2) fill the bucket with luckewarm water. Add the water conditioner. Then use the same tank thermometer to get the temp. Mix it well and to the water change.

Option 1 allows you to age it, but it's not necessary for bettas. Option 2 let's you control the temp more directly.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #13 
JKfish

I typically try to get it out of the tap a wee bit warmer than room temperature , then add the proper ammount of conditioner to the water, swirl it with my clean hand, and let it sit for about 2 minutes. Then what I do is I get a tubberware and slowly scoop the water into the tank. Even though it's a slower process, it helps make sure the water doesn't splash too much or stress out your beta, and it also gives the heater time to heat the water up properly without there being to huge of a temperature difference.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote