Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #1 
BlueEyes

Sorority Size?

Hi.....I'm new here. *nervous wave*

I was wondering if a 10 gallon tank would be okay for a sorority of four or five girls? Or would I have to go bigger?

I'm making future plans to get a betta (or more) after my rat babies go to the giant hammock in the sky, so I'm trying to get information.

I wanted to use the ten gallon for a sorority of five, and then get a little 3 gallon for a male.
BlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 
Impolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Hi.....I'm new here. *nervous wave*

I was wondering if a 10 gallon tank would be okay for a sorority of four or five girls? Or would I have to go bigger?

I'm making future plans to get a betta (or more) after my rat babies go to the giant hammock in the sky, so I'm trying to get information.

I wanted to use the ten gallon for a sorority of five, and then get a little 3 gallon for a male.

I have a sorority in my 10 gallon. I absolutely love it!!
Just make sure you have a lot of plants and hiding places.. they will fight at first, so warning. I had to use 2 nets and a breeding thing to keep the 5 apart. Only a couple fought though. They get used to each other after they get territory.

heres a video of mine: http://youtu.be/t5zIyFdYuK8

another: http://youtu.be/1kPA1E8vE0Q

be patient!!! and get a heater... make sure you have a heater!

Last edited by Impolite; 07-19-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #3 
BlueEyes

So I would need to keep them separate, but in the same tank so they can see each other before letting them all swim together? You know, to get better acquainted and such?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #4 
Sakura8

You can let them see each other in their cups first if you like. When you introduce them the first time, you don't know what will happen. Watch to see who is the most aggressive and who is getting picked on the most. You will almost certainly need to reintroduce them at least a few times before they settle in. When you reintroduce them, always put the one who is getting picked on the most in first and put the bully in last. This puts them on equal footing. You may need to do this several times before they stop trying to tear each other apart. Don't give up!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #5 
BlueEyes

So keeping them in the cups for a little bit to get acquainted would be okay?

And what if they don't stop?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #6 
Impolite

No, not exactly. If youre going to buy them all at the same time, I would put their cups close to each other, like in a circle so they can see each other. I already had a female in my 10 gallon, so I used the 2 way breeder and put the biggest one out of the ones I got into That to distract her, and it did. I pushed it to one side and added the other girls, who were too curious to fight at the moment. When my female that was already in the take (hereafter known as Chita) realized there was more and left the one in the breeder alone, I let the one in it out. So then they were all free swimming. I sat for at least and hour and just watched, maybe more than an hour. If I saw two fighting, I'd wait to make sure it wasn't just chasing, but when it did excell to nipping, I'd net one and let it calm down. And Chita... Well she was in the 2 way breeder for a while because she didn't want to give up her tank. Now there's barely any fighting or chasing ever. The only time I've seen them fight since the first week I got them was when I put a dead feeder cricket in... And that was just chasing.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #7 
Impolite

I do warn you though, it takes TIME and EFFORT. I started with six now have five. Idk how the one died (and it was the biggest) but I came home ad it was dead stuck to the filter. Idk if it was attacked and eaten, but, I lost her. Some bettas just aren't willing to share.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Yes, exactly. There is a difference between just nip and chase and "won't back down." Three of my girls were like that and it would get downright scary, that's why I almost gave up. But you net the most aggressive one out and give her a time out. Sometimes by the time you let her back out, the others have worked out their territories and the hierarchy and the net girl is left at the bottom of the totem pole so she can't be as aggressive.

I introduced my girls the same way as Impolite with one girl already in the tank. Keep adding the girls in until they're all there and then observe.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #9 
Impolite

Yes, don't give up!! Thats the main thing! It's work and hope all during, bu coming home and have them swim right up to the front to see you is the reward! They're beautiful! They have so much character, and honestly, I think they're capable of love! They don't like anyone else to walks up to the tank; so they definitely have observed me, because the tank is at waist level.

Oh... And do not buy them till you're definitely prepared! Do not be doing last minute add ins (like decor or plants) when you're putting them in.

I actually moved some stuff around before I put in the new girls to get chitas attention (this was before she loved me)
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Yes, I agree with Impolite 100%. It's so rewarding to see my girls swim up and wait for attention (attention = food). I love watching them interact and seeing who thinks they're tough but backs down easily, who is always curious, who likes to steal everyone's food. And the girls get used to each other and will become upset if you remove one for any reason.

You will get nipped fins, sometimes really torn fins, but fins do grow back. The work that goes into a sorority is definitely worth it.