Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Problems with Petsmart

Has anyone else had problems with Petsmart honoring their fish insurance?

I just went to Petsmart to get another crowntail since Edward passed away in the 14 day period. When I bought him they said I only needed to bring the receipt in to show that I bought him.

They didn't honor it since I didn't bring in a body even though he had been dead for several days and the fact that they had said nothing about needing a body as proof. Needless to say, I did not get another fish from them. I bought Walmart's last fish and will have pictures of him soon.

I should have gotten my previous fish for free since he was already at Death's Door, but I paid full price in good conscience that I would be refunded if he passed away. The cashier I asked was the one that sold me the fish and she remembered his condition. The manager came out and unfortunately said that they needed a body.

I'm unwilling to store a dead, diseased fish in my refrigerator for a few days and then handling it for the 40 minute drive to Petsmart. It's obviously very unhealthy and the fact that they suggested that I do that should be enough to report them alone.

Here's Edward the day I got him (He was in teh same condition when he passed away despite treatments):
Attached Images

Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've never had a problem with Petsmart. They have always been up front about bringing in the dead fish along with the receipt. You can e-mail corporate and complain to them.They'll get back to you in about 24 hours or so. I just e-mailed them about their blue water and they got back to me pretty quickly. Be polite about it, though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

I just told the manager that was there and the two cashiers that next time they should let someone know that a body is needed. I've bought plenty of bettas from there and they've never said anything about bringing the body in. That and there are always the same cashiers there and they've gotten to know us pretty well with how many fish we buy there for full price when we could get them for cheaper. It's a little insulting that we're not trusted even though we buy their worst fish off of them for full price and never bring anything back for returns. That and their terms of insurance are very unhealthy.

I will be emailing corporate if I run into any more problems though. They really need to let people know what they expect so we can follow through instead of showing up unknowing.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree, they should make sure customers know what their policies are. I think it does mention it in their little care sheet/brochure thing, which would be nice if they gave people who buy fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

The only brochures they have are on a shelf next to the bettas on the side you don't usually go on. And even then it's just information on the fish itself, not their replacement policy. It's rather unfortunate that they don't let people know.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #6 
YoshesMom

Ive always known you had to bring back the body..I honestly dont mean to be rude but dosent it seem like common knowledge? I mean you cant just bring back the receipt for a jacket with a stain and say hey I wanna refund without bringing the jacket along. My petsmart people know me very well and they still tell me remember you have 14 days
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

I didn't think they would condone bringing a dead and diseased carcass, however small, into a food storage area whether bagged or not. It seems like a very dangerous thing to do that would spread illness easily. And it wouldn't serve any purpose to leave it to rot for a few days until I could get out to the Petsmart again.

And as for a jacket with a stain, it wouldn't be highly likely to spread disease like a dead animal.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #8 
Sakura8

I don't blame you for not wanting to carry the body on a long car ride but unfortunately, business is a cruel and unfeeling world sometimes. :/ At least a betta isn't as costly as, say, a saltwater fish, so you didn't lose out on $40 or something like that. Not that it's any consolation upon losing a beloved pet.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #9 
Persica

The lack of people who understand common courtesy in this world amazes me. Honestly, for the price of a betta, couldn't they just have given you a new one? They definitely should have told you that you needed to bring the body in. It's not your fault for not just KNOWING that. I don't think that many people would try to scam them out of fish that only cost a few bucks....

I would email the big guys and try to get a free fish out of the deal. If you complain enough, in a polite manner, most places will try to keep your business by making things right. I'm sure if you talk to the right people you can get them to give you a voucher of some sort for a free betta, or some sort of gift card. Just my thoughts.
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #10 
Pataflafla

I'll certainly keep that in mind, but I'll just argue the price down next time I buy a sickly fish. I won't go back for a while now to try and get a new fish from them since I bought Walmart's last one and don't have the space for 2 new fish.

I won't be buying fish from there any time soon, but I do still have to get my dog his food there, but that will be it.