Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #1 
Super Fish

New Girl Has Issues... Possible SBD?

Housing
What size is your tank? .5 g QT tank
What temperature is your tank? Room Temperature - Around 76 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No but she could be floated in a heated tank.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Just got her yesterday, gave her one pellet last night.
How often do you feed your betta fish? N/A as I just got her.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 days but N/A as she came home last night.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, I'm on well water so don't need to.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Tank is an uncycled .5 gallon so I've not done water tests. Water will be changed every 2 days (or more if needed). Water out of the tap is 0 A, 0 NI and 0 NA. I have a very high PH and my water is fairly hard.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? N/A just got her
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? N/A just got her
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Once she was released into the QT tank.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatments so far.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A just got her.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 months.

Just got this Super Delta 5 month old female last night. Her breeder was at the store and told me her age and bit about her lines. I did not notice any difficulties swimming at the store but it is hard to tell in those little cups.

Her tail is down and her head is up. She is pretty active still. Gave her one pellet last night and she ate it without issue and without hesitation. She is able to get to the surface for air but stays near the bottom, mostly. When she is laying on the bottom she turns onto her side.

Here is a video of her swimming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uViMBfWYdhk

HELP please!
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #2 
Sakura8

She's really, really cute! I'm wondering if she got a bit of temperature shock that caused some mild SBD problems? It doesn't look too bad, she seemed very active, but I did notice what you mean by turning on her side. I would try floating her in a heated tank if you can to see if that makes any difference. Is she in a breeder? Can she be treated while being floated in the heated tank? If so, I would suggest 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon to see if that helps. Dissolve the salt first before adding it. I hope she gets better, she's adorable.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #3 
Super Fish

In the video she is in a breeder within my community tank. I had read that epsom salts were a possible treatment so I moved her to the .5 gallon. I have cories so I can't do a salt treatment in the main tank.

Temp shock may be an issue. It took about an hour to drive home yesterday and we've had heat in the 40 + (celcius). The AC was on but it was still really freaking hot...

I hope she gets better too... she was bought to be bred.

I'm going to go grab a thermometer and make sure the .5 is at an acceptable range. It should be, as like I said, it's ridiculously hot here at the moment.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Right, cories are salt-sensitive. She doesn't look too bad so I'm thinking it's a mild case. My HM had a temperature-induced SBD problem and one night in epsom salts fixed that so I'm hoping your girl is the same and gets better quickly. She's very adorable and she'll be a great breeder.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #5 
Super Fish

I'm a bit unsure of how to go about the epsom salt bath. How long do I leave her in the bath for?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #6 
Sakura8

In her case, maybe a day or two. Water changes every day and redo the salt treatment. You can mix the 1 tsp of salt up in a gallon jug (about 3.75 liters), then just pour that into her QT.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #7 
Super Fish

Great, thank you so much! Should I continue to fast her during this time? I have freeze dried daphnia... should I feed that to aid in digestion, just in case she's a bit bloated?

Also... I see you've got a Zenyatta and a Rachel Alexandra. Racing fan, eh? I am too.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #8 
Sakura8

She doesn't look bloated to me, which is good, so daphnia should help move her system along to prevent any bloating in case she is just a bit constipated.

I adore Zenyatta. Greetings, fellow racing fan.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #9 
Super Fish

Well I fed her freeze dried daphnia that had been soaked for a few minutes. She gobbled it up! I'm really amazed at how active she is, despite the funky swimming.

I mixed up 8 litres (little over 2 gallons) with 2 teaspoons of epsom salt. I let it get to room temperature and then switched her water out. Fingers crossed this does the trick!

I'm totally in love with her anyway, so even if she has permanent swim bladder issues I'm still happy I got her. She's got such personality!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #10 
Sakura8

She does, I could tell by the video and how she was swimming. She just looked so spunky and curious about everything going on around her. I hope the epsom salt helps, keep us updated. Good luck!