Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #1 
nel3

i just dont understand how they survive

im sure some of you have already found some fish owners who do next to nothing to keep their fish alive for more than a year without essentiosl water changes, water conditioner etc. at times im impressed the fish has survived this long but annoyed that my own diligent care yeilds less that sucessful results.

my friend used to have a betta and changed the water every 7-9 days when the water got the film on it. it survived 3 years in a 1gal tank. his goldfish of 11-15ys has survived 7-8 months between water changes (10-15gal tank) and autimatic feeding. he cant wait for the fish to die, yet i fail to see it. im impressed the fish is alteast a decade old, id like to see how old it gets. the fish has a few small fish in the tank and those are eaten by the goldfish. he's actually seen the goldfish eat them.

though the one that gets me the most is my neighbors blue VT betta. its 2 years old in a vase (.25->.5g), gets water changes every 2 days and never had water conditioner used on the water. the fish's apearance looks like a healthy textbook fish.

Last edited by nel3; 07-21-2011 at 11:58 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I know and yet some bettas kept in all the right conditions die within days or months. It's one of the absolute mysteries of fish, I swear. But even though the fish is alive I have to wonder how comfortable it can be with all that ammonia floating around. And that guy's goldfish is incredible. Goldfish put out soooo much ammonia, to go that many months without changing the water and still have it alive is a miracle and a scientific mystery.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 
nel3

not sure which gold fish species but its the relatively slim body fish you'd find anywhere and its 2-4 long. any other companion fish is rather wasy to eat for this guy.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Sounds like a feeder fish, almost. Odd, goldfish get 8-12" by now. But yeesh, doesn't matter what kind of fish, 7-8 months is a LOOOONG time to go without water changes.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #5 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Sounds like a feeder fish, almost. Odd, goldfish get 8-12" by now. But yeesh, doesn't matter what kind of fish, 7-8 months is a LOOOONG time to go without water changes.
looks like a common goldfish by appearance, no large belly on it at all. its closer to 4inches long and maybe its size is from the WC. can high ammonia stunt fish growth? not sure of the other water parameters, he never tested them.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Yeah, high ammonia probably can stunt growth. Hope your friend isn't planning on getting any more bettas. >_<
Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #7 
nel3

Quote:
Yeah, high ammonia probably can stunt growth. Hope your friend isn't planning on getting any more bettas. >_<
no, thats why they gave the 1gal to me. very kind people. his sister also had one (red betta) but both died more than a year ago. they're done with the fish business, all thats left is the last gold fish. they used to have a large tropical tank, many disease issues as they were young then. too many hands in the tank did the trick. they used 12 goldfish to break in the tank, all lasted more that a few months. the shop attendant said they's last no more than a month lol. they gave the fish away and never found out how long they lasted after that. if anything they only had luck with goldfish and betta.

Last edited by nel3; 07-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Well, that's too bad they had such bad luck with fish. Water changes could have played a part. -_-
Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #9 
nel3

Quote:
Well, that's too bad they had such bad luck with fish. Water changes could have played a part. -_-
WC did some of the issues but the tropical tank setup was the issue. young kids love to try to touch the nice fishies in any aquarium. thats what made problems for the tropical tank. the parents gave up on it because they (brother+sister) were too young to maintain the tanks. the parents were constantly putting medicines in the tropical tank and it racks up after a while to pay for the medicines. they still have a small fish in the 10gal but given the fish's history it wont stay like that.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

I don't know if it was posted.. you are seeing a few fish live long lives in horrible conditions. But think of how many are treated like that and didn't live. You see Bettas being treated with the best care only to pass within weeks/months, but how many live to ripe old age with this care. Right?

I do everything by the book with my boys, and they keep passing on me. I am starting to think the water here is just HORRID for Bettas :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote