Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #1 
Luimeril

what an insult!

(posted this on FB, too) i was watching "Fish Hooks", a Disney cartoon about (totally incompatible) young fish, and in today's episode, one caught "The Dropsy". "it's like "chicken pox, only for fish". they made Dropsy out to be something not at all serious, and when the Betta fish, Milo(who's brother is a catfish. who's in love with a goldfish, btw), pretended to have it and wasn't "cured" within a week, they figured he's "one of the rare 5% who never recover", and sent him to a "Dropsy colony". .___o ugh. they made it out to be a joke. the whole show angers me! the fish are all incompatible, and it makes fish keeping out to be a joke. i mean, i get it. it's for kids. but, they need a bit of knowledge in the show, not make it yet another stupid kid's show that doesn't teach kids anything. >.>;

*rant, rant, rant*
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 
sunnydawnie

Ah, it's a show. Just like superman can fly, spiderman can climb tall buildings, etc. Fish can live together in peace regardless of type.

But I do think that if they should be more accurate on the disease, because someone could take that too lightly if they were watching the show.
sunnydawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 
Luimeril

that's my whole thing. it's not accurate about these things, and makes a joke about them. :/ we here on bettafish, know how dangerous Dropsy is. it makes little kids think fish keeping is easy. that you can just dump an octopus in with a goldfish and betta, and he'll live. >.>;
Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Superman is a superhero, how many do you see around? You see fish all the time in stores and in homes and such. There is a difference there.
I don't care for shows like that.
I remember watching a movie I think was called Barnyard or something along those lines. I didn't really pay attention to the movie except the boy cows had utters. 0.o
We stick to PBS kids, at least it's informative.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #5 
Luimeril

exactly! Dx i wouldn't mind it, if they were more accurate. why must all kids shows these days, be so stupid?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #6 
Super Fish

What kids shows did you watch? I bet you, even as a child, did not take them for fact. The shows are not very realistic but you aren't horribly damaged from it.

Take for example the Lion King: Lions, Hyenas, Warthogs, ect all together, in some cases working with one another, in other cases working against one another. But you were smart enough to know the difference between the movie and real life, weren't you? Most kids figure it out real quick.

Have you seen the show about the evil goldfish? It's absolutely hilarious.
Super Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #7 
Luimeril

i watched shows like... oh, gawd. you're asking me the cartoons i watched as a kid. well... i remember LOTS of PBS. x: mostly that, in fact. and Power Rangers. i watched less realistic shows when i was older, and knew fact from fiction.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #8 
Persica

Finding Nemo has incompatible fish, but I don't think it has a negative effect on children.

The show isn't the problem. The problem is the parent who lets their child get a pet, and then lets them not take care of it.
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #9 
Luimeril

and, Nemo caused a rise in the number of Clown Fish bought. just like Snow Dogs caused an influx in Huskies bought. and 101 Dalmatians, well... you get the idea. shows and movies like these, cause impulse buys all the time. people were scared that Hachiko: A Dog's Story would cause a rise in the number of Akitas bought, then shoved into shelters. difference is, Nemo and Fish Hooks cause a rise in fish bought, which you can't really trace unless you can get a hold of pet store records. shows geared at kids, need to have more truth in them, than falsehood.

i mean, shows with wizards, super heroes, and stuff like that, are different than shows with real creatures in them.

when my niece showed interest in bettas, i made sure she knew what was right and wrong with them, and now, she takes care of King Steve really well. while it's true, that you have to teach the kids yourself, how many parents these days do that? they'll listen to pet store employees, before they'll do their own research. that's what upsets me the most, about shows like this. kids see goldfish, living with bettas, catfish, clams and urchins, and they think it's okay. kids don't get that these things aren't real and truthful, and ask mommy and daddy for the same thing, and the parent doesn't know better, and asks the pet store employee, who says "yeah! goldfish can live with catfish and bettas just fine!", and the parent thinks it's correct.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #10 
Persica

I guess. But there are also action shows that in theory, should influence kids to jump off bridges and hunt down bad-guys, when in reality, they know better. I think kids are smarter than we're giving them credit for, to be honest. Also, yes, movies do influence animals bought. I was aware of that as I'm an avid animal rights activist... But does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to have movies about dalmations or akitas? No. Not saying people should be doing this impulse buying, but we can't just ban all movies about a certain type of animal. Especially because once again, the responsibility still lies with the pet owner.
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote