Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #1 
sunnydawnie

16G with Delta Betta & Serpea Tetras ?

OK, Emerald my pretty green (that looks blue in the tank) Delta betta has had this 16G all to himself for about 3 weeks. Time to add some companions. PetSmart has Serpea Tetras on sale right now for $1 each (normally $4 each).
So I bought Emerald some companions which he's not thrilled about and added them all together tonight. Here's a link to the tetras, but they are more orange in person than the picture. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/serpaetetra.php

At first he stayed away from them checking them out from the side lines, now he's trying to single them out of their school and flaring at them trying to take a nip, but they are too fast for him. They seem curious about him but are letting him be, not trying to nip his gorgeous fins/tail... so that part is working well.

Anyone tried this and have any feedback whether this experiment is going to work ?
sunnydawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

A friend of mine had those in a tank with Angels, she had to remove them because they were very aggressive when breeding and fin nippers. Our Pets Unlimited has them on sale for $0.99, and I bypassed them all together. Last weekt hey had them as Red Phantoms Tetras (the black version too) and this week they are on sale as Serpea Tetras. I wouldn't do it personally but it's a little late now hey? Most larger Tetras can be nippy. I would never put my Red Eyes in with a betta but I would put my Black Neons! They are dopey lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #3 
sunnydawnie

Thanks, I have 14 days to return them all to petsmart if this doesn't work out. So far I'm hopeful. It's been about 5 hours and other than the betta going after a tetra once in a while, it's looking OK. The tetras are hanging out at the bottom in a group and the betta is hanging at the top (the 16G tank is taller than it is wide).
Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I would keep and eye on them, but leave them be. Tetras can be sketchy things LOL My Red Eyes are silver with a red eyelid, and black/yellow stripe on the tail. When I took mine home, they were so silver they were almost white. Not a single color on them. Took them about 2-3 days to color up, then I knew they were getting comfy. You have lots of time to watch them :) They should show personalities in no time.
How many did you get? Also, next time you should do QT with new fish for at least 3 weeks, you would be devastated if your new fish passed something onto your betta that could kill him :(
Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #5 
Luimeril

nooooooo. >3<

Pet Lovers once put a veil in with the Serpae, and they nipped his fins till they were nubs. D: poor boy looked like a Plakat. ;A;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #6 
sunnydawnie

Oh no, I didn't even think of that ! I'm new to all of this. Gosh that's a long time to hold 6 fish apart in a separate container before it goes into the tank it's supposed to go to.

Last edited by sunnydawnie; 07-20-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #7 
sunnydawnie

How long does it take Serpae to show aggression ? I haven't seen anything at all so far except when they briefly chase each other a little.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydawnie View Post
Oh no, I didn't even think of that ! I'm new to all of this. Gosh that's a long time to hold 6 fish apart in a separate container before it goes into the tank it's supposed to go to.
Yes it is... BUT it only takes one bug to take down a whole tank, and then bleaching and always wondering if it will happen again. I always have a 10g set up for QT, with some fish that go well with my 29g crew. I move them into the 29g and move the newbies into the 10g :) That way it's always cycled.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #9 
sunnydawnie

This is a stupid question to someone with experience, but how long does it take for signs to show up that a fish is sick after getting new tank mates ?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

It varies, usually within a week I would think? I know I lost one of my Danios at 8 days, and my new crew showed Ich at 8 days. I also lost my Venom at 8 days :(

Our store has a 7 day warranty, that's how I know it was 8 days.

A lot of times, the weaker ones may pass and that's it. I bought 3 Danios and lost all three over a month. My other fish are fine. The crew with Ich came from someone elses home.