Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #11 
Impolite

WHOA! thats some amazing looking stuff! you're really lucky!
I'd love to have... haha, wait for it...
A fish bowl. but not like that. like a dog bowl.. for food. my catfish eats from an upside down shell in his tank ha.
I use a gravel vac tube to get the food in there, and he swims over and eats from it.
He's been really depressed since his gf (the minnow) died. and so, he never comes out anymore :(
but those are really great.
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #12 
caroro

What happens if its not fully glazed?
caroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #13 
CoverMeInClay

If it's not fully glazed and a low fire clay it will soak in the water and it mil mildew. Another possible outcome, though not as frequesnt is the water saturation will cause the glaze to no longer fit the piece and it can flake off.
If there is an exposed area of the piece you can do the "lick test" I know it's not what everyone wants to do, but you touch your tounge to the exposed area and if the saliva more or less sits on the surface of the piece you should be ok.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #14 
caroro

Hmmm... well our kiln is only low-fire, but I think we're getting a high-fire kiln soon.
I'll do the lick test, since the ceramic would otherwise be a mug or bowl anyway, it doesn't bother me.

My professor HATES when we glaze the bottom of stuff since it only creates more work for him. But he'll just tell me, "If it sticks, YOU'RE grinding it off the shelf. If it cracks the shelf, YOU'RE buying a new one. Get to work!" lmao!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #15 
CoverMeInClay

You might want to invest in some kiln stilts. If he doesn't want you glaxing the bottoms, then maybe volunteer to help load. I think your scilptures would be very nice as custome aquarium decor, you just have to make sure there is nothing to harm the fish. I'd be a little wary of using the crystal effects glazes too, they might be a bit more finicky then the solid colors would be if submerged. I know everything sold now is non toxic, but check the bottles anyway, there might be some very old stock that's still floating around in your ceramics lab. ^_^
Old 07-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #16 
caroro

He does have stilts, but sometimes the glazes will drip, or run and get permenantly fused with the stilts and shelves, and that's what causes the biggest issues.

Alot of what I like to use is the crystal effect stuff. Some of the glazes we have still contain lead and are NOT food safe, but they are put away so that people don't mistakenly use them.

I read an article about ceramic decor.. it said that unglazed stuff like terracotta is generally the most safe, and anything glazed with glaze deemed "food safe" should also be safe for inside an aquarium, but to be sure, you can do a test by sticking something glazed inside a container filled with vinegar and see if after a month the luster of the glaze has worn off.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #17 
CoverMeInClay

Well, it sounds like you are on the right track. I hope you continue on in ceramics. It's obviouse that you have a talent for it.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #18 
caroro

Oh yeah, I definitely will. Sculpting has become my new favorite form of art, and I love love love working in clay.

Well, it's nice to know people are interested... now I'll just have to figure out the whole pricing thing. Working in clay is not quick, and definitely not cheap.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #19 
CoverMeInClay

No it's not. I know I've always had a hard time trying to think up prices. It's also dificult to figure from when you're in school ans then once you're out and have to buy everything on your own. Plus prices on everythign have been going up *sighs*

Tags
accessories, aquarium, decor, decoration