Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #1 
Hinata

10 Gallon Tank Water Changes

I'm not sure if a topic like this was posted before (I can't find the search button ) but I'd like to ask this section of the forum a question since this is the place to post things about the habitat you made for your betta. How often should I do water changes on a 10 gallon tank and what percentage of the water should I change? I'm sure that you've gotten a ton of this question, but I'm basically blind (Lower than 2.25 vision) and can't find the search button. Thank you for reading this and being understanding about my awful eyes.

Last edited by Hinata; 07-21-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Bad punctuation!
Hinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 
GunsABlazin

Well i remove and replace a gallon a week in my tank, but this is becuse i dont have to add any chemicals or conditioners to my water, and i never have any amoina problems.

Usualy, i think, its 25% a week. Never a 100% becuse a large tank builds good bacteria that a 100% would kill. But i could be wrong.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

50% every 2-3 days until your tank is cycled, then 25-50% once a week after that :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #4 
diablo13

I would say 50% twice a week for a month and a half, then 50% once a week After it cycles
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Is the 10gal tank filtered and what type of filter used if you have one and any live plants, if so, how many and what species and stocking plans....water changes are different based on filter, live plants and stocking...

In a filtered 10gal without live plants that is properly stocked with an established nitrogen cycle.....50% weekly with vacuum....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #6 
Hinata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Is the 10gal tank filtered and what type of filter used if you have one and any live plants, if so, how many and what species and stocking plans....water changes are different based on filter, live plants and stocking...

In a filtered 10gal without live plants that is properly stocked with an established nitrogen cycle.....50% weekly with vacuum....
The tank isn't filtered with anything besides the water changes I'm supposed to do. There are no live plants in there since the plants would probably die the instant they got into my hands (I don't have a green thumb at all).
Hinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Unfiltered 10gal tank without live plants...stocked with a single Betta....water changes of 50% 1-2 times weekly...with 100% every month or so.....provided that you don't overfed and uneaten food removed within a reasonable time....

I would get a sponge filter or a low flow HOB so that you could establish the nitrogen cycle.......especially if you plan on more than a single Betta....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote