Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #1 
ale89

Question Which fin type?

Hi everyone, Im kind of bundling a couple of things in one post so sorry if its kind of a pics spam
1. First of all meet Fuego, my newest addition, I went to the store for brine shrimp and ended up with him lol

He was right next to a couple of beautiful orange dalmatian veiltails which made it hard to decide. Do you guys think that he is a veiltail/crowntail mix? After he sttled in his tailed started to look more comb like than crownish but im not an expert so not really sure.

2. Can anyone help figure out which tail type is this female? My guess is delta, but the guy at the sore said she was a HM and i cant really tell. Also does anyone knows what causes marbles to change color? all the pics below are of the same girl before and after i put her on my outdoor guppy tank, she kind of looks like a whole different fish.

sorry the picture quality isn't the best I took them with my phone, your help and opinions will be appreciated
ale89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

Your boy is sooo cute! :D Actually all of them are! *squeeee*
I believe you male is just a CT.
Looks like your girls are...PK? o___o I assume PK cuz the short anal fin. VT's usually have longer anal fins. She might even be a HMPK! o 0 o
Marbles change color because of their irregular patterns - the coloring isn't stable so it spreads to different places (sometimes). My female VT marble was flesh colored, and now she has some red and turquoise- pearl in her fins and she also gained a cute white (almost looks like dragon scaling) right on top of her head xD
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #3 
ale89

Thank you, your girl sounds very pretty too, do you have pictures of her here? That's actually the same female in both pics, she just looks completely different lol. Now that you mention it she does look like a plakat. I didn't know there were different kinds of those, maybe someone with plakat experience can clarify?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Your male is a CT, IMO he's most likely from HM or SD lines because he has multiple ray branchings.

Your female is a PK from the looks of it.

The marble gene is a "jumping gene". This means it moves to different spots on the chromosome inhibiting the expression of some colors and allowing the expression of color in others. That's a simplified definition, it's really convoluted and to be honest the marble gene has not completely been described yet.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 
ale89

Thanks, so the marble gene seems to be a pretty big wild card. I wonder if the color changes are associated to certain stimuli (like a change in environment form indoors to outside) or if its just random?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Hmm that's a good theory. My girl seems to change color when she's stressed or being picked on. xD
I have pics of her in my album...but no recent ones.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

As far as I know changes are random. A marble will change more frequently when it's younger then as it ages it usually settles into one color or in some cases no color at all.

Some marbles never change or change very little and others change several times and several colors.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote