Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #1 
Larsa

New sorority, a first for me

Today I set up a sorority in a 10 gal tank. I got live plants, fake plants, tumbled jasper gravel, and big polished stones. I have a filter and therrmometer-i live in tx and with this drought goin on its too hot for a heater! LOL The tank is constantly at 82 F, night and day.

I added all 5 of my females in it today and although there was a couple of fin slaps, bites, and chasing it went better than I expected. I hope 5 is enough for a 10 gal, I wanted lots of space for them. I was scared when I added them all in at once they were gonna tear each other apart! But they flare and chase each other. o. 0 I added a lil aquarium salt to help their tails. Right now they are chasing but not flaring or biting. Only one girl has horizontal lines but she should be ok in a lil bit.
***I was wondering when the flaring, tail slapping, and chasing would stop. Maybe a few days or so? Im not gonna come home from work and see a bloody mess and dead fish am I? o.o Im sure they will be ok together but they are my babies so I worry :/

Last edited by Larsa; 07-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #2 
Impolite

Yeah, sometimes its a few days.... mine lasted two days, but now and then I notice they have a bite taken out of their fins. But, with the heat and AS (aquarium salt) they heal quickly and they're all friends after that.
If you notice one being REALLY mean, do not sesitate to quarintine it. I had mine in a 3 way breeder (the really aggressive one) and heck...I had to keep her in there for TWO days. TWO!!!
all the others would come look at her, then when I noticed she was chill, I let her out. Then I went on vacation for like a week, and they were still all fine, even without food!
But, of course, it's always better to feed them.

Good luck with it.
DONT give up!

I was worried every morning for the first.. week? I think XD
But, always, it was good. :)

Sometimes when I didn't see one immediately, I'd freak out and start lifting all the decor! Ha
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #3 
Larsa

Thank you! :D im glad someone answered me :) I hope they will be ok. A little more fin tearing went on today ( fought over a bubble...) I ready added aquarium salt for them. Poor Sakura's fins are totally ruined :'( im so glad they grow back in a month.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #4 
Impolite

Yeah. sucks huh?
I keep aquarium salt in there all the time, I did when I first put them in. Mine grow back REALLY fast, but I keep my temp at like 80, so that probably helps too.

A lot of people say sororities are the highest failing tank setup, but a lot of people here have good luck, and its probably with all the dedicated people, so, hopefully, by looking here and getting answers, you can have a successful sorority! Good luck to you and all your girls.
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote