Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #21 
Indyfishy

Anyone think I should add epsom salts???? Maybe it will help him poop something out if he has parasites.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #22 
Indyfishy

Just tried to feed him, no changes yet. I'm going to add some epsom salts to his water, maybe that will help him a little. He is a bit perkier this morning, I think the stresscoat is helping some!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #23 
Indyfishy

I'll post a few pictures

This is what he should Normally look like:

And this is him right now:

Above shot:
Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #24 
Impolite

awe :( so sad</3
He looks like my old betta (that died for an unknown reason)
I really hope he gets better.
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #25 
Impolite

oh, and to help get the uneaten food out of the bottom of that jar instead of 100% (which you said he hates) use a pipette or a turkey baster or something to suck it out
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #26 
inkrealm

awww D:
what a poor pretty boy...
I'm glad he seems a little perkier... all hope <3 <3
it may just be the shot, but in th epale pictures from the top his gills look a little stuck out to me.... maybe I'm seeing something else though,

he also looks skinnier to me, like his stomach looks gone, if you compare the two body 'heights'... again could just be angle though >^<
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #27 
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
I don't have any live plants. The tank is filtered, and I do one 50% and one 100% every week (3 to 4 days apart from eachother) as advised by Oldfishlady. I pm'd her, and I really hope she can help me with this one =/ I'm really upset, I just lost my other betta to a tumor just three days ago. I don't want to lose Finley too.
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Was he Vincent? The one who's pictures you showed me?

I'm sorry that I don't really have any advice on the subject. I just hope Finley gets better soon. I'm glad the stress coat seems to be working. I literally have it de-chlorinating my water for Thunder's water change tomorrow. I'm using it for the first time for his fins. Hopefully it'll help him out like it did for Finley.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #28 
Indyfishy

Impolite: Thank you for the suggestion!!! Unfortunately, I don't have a turkey baster, or a pipette D= But he seems to be getting used to the water changes, i think the fresh stresscoat and epsom salt is soothing to him.

Inkrealm: Thank you for all your help!! Yes, you are correct, one of his gills is sticking out quite a bit =/ I'm about 75% sure that he has parasites, and if the epsom doesn't solve it then I'm going out to get meds for him on monday.

Sky: Thank you!!! Yes, Vincent did pass away =/ I think the tumor started to block his intestines, there was hardly any poo in the water when I cleaned his tank, and I hadn't done a gravel cleaning in about 10 days. Poor thing, I miss the little guy. I hope the stresscoat helps Thunder, it seems to do good things for everyone's fish on here!!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 AM   #29 
inkrealm

Indyfishy-
well that is bad... but it does help narrow it down... you know he can't swallow, you know it bothers him to eat and breathe, so it's probably in the throat area, and it's blocked or something. the gill is out, so it's something effecting the gill. so either the gill is inflamed, or it's parasites. probably ><
on the up side, he may not be actually choking per say, so if it is inflammation or parasites, that may be the only issue, and much easier to remedy than choking :D
I hope the salts help, and the meds if not; he sounds like he has a fighting chance, and like you're doing everything in your power to help him, which is what counts. ^-^

could I steal the exact name of your stress coat by any chance? I've never used one, and I was nervous about doing so, because I wasn't sure if it was a medicine, and/or similar to Melafix, ect. XC
but his fins have either healed up funny, or still not healed up, and I'm wondering if maybe a little stress coat might help him out... I've been trying to get him to perk up from the pet store cup for about a month or two, and while he seems happy he's still not lustrous in color, his red streaks are findable but not fully there, a few scales are still off-colored, and his fins still look a tad wilted... especially since I have to leave and be gone for the first week of August, I want to make sure he's good to go.....
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #30 
kumi

Please keep us posted and let us know what OFL suggests! It's so scary/frustrating/upsetting to not even know what is causing a problem.

I (unfortunately) have had quite a bit of experience with QT setups recently. If you can, you might add a fabric plant. My ailing betta very much appreciates it and anything that reduces stress is good.

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote