Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

New Boy Hughie - SBD?

Brought home a new guy tonight, I couldn't leave him behind. I was at the LPS looking through the Bettas (all black/navy blue) and there was this poor boy on his side at the top of the tank. He kept coming to me and then floating to the top, he was struggling to get to the middle of the cup and he couldn't :( But he tried his hardest to come to me every time I touched the tank.

Anyways, I called someone over and then I called the manager and asked for a discount on him. They gave him to me for $2, no warranty. I'll take that. He's home with me now. Just wondering, IS this SBD and what's the best way to treat it? Epsom salt and fasting? Poor guy, new home and he's being refused food lol

This pet store feeds freeze dried bloodworms ONLY. The manager said this is the first time anyone has EVER asked for a discount on a sick fish. I told him this is the first time someone like me has found a sick fish they want to save.

Right now he's in a 0.8g QT tank as Ben has my 1g and the smallest tank at the store was a 2.65 Marina Goldfish for $50. I couldn't justify that when I have a 5gal NPT set up for the bettas lol

I can't take photos of him right now, he's stressed striped to the max. He is a black/blue VT, the usual at my store. Gosh knows how old he is.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Is he super thin like my rescue guy? Or bloated? If bloated, I'd go with SBD. If not, I'm thinking possible parasites or starvation like mine. Put him in 1 tsp of epsom salts per gallon, keep the water super shallow so he can reach the surface, keep him warm, and hope for the best. Water changes every day. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

Ahh, he can't leave the surface :( He seriously can't go to the middle or the bottom of the tank if he tries. I have him in his tank with 1tsp epsom for now. Just wanted to know what the best. I have the tank filled half way, not like he can do anything but float.

Oh and he's thin sure, but he's a bit bloated in the front. I will take pictures tomorrow. He seems to have perked up. He is now floating normally, not rolling over like he was at the pet store.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Sounds like some SBD issues then. The epsom salt should help. It might take a few days for you to see results, though. If after a day you don't see any improvement, you can try bumping it up to 2 tsp per gallon. Good luck with Hughie!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

I've actually seen results after putting the salt in, he seems so much happier. Could be the clean water too. Everytime I walk near the tank, he shoots over. It's almost like he has a lifejacket on and can't swim down.

Wish me luck! Ben started acting funny today so he's in QT qwith aq salt, he perked up too so hopefully I'm doing something right. Ben is back to normal but still has clamped fins. Tomorrow I'll set up a NPT for both of them. Thanks Sakura!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Aww, I wonder what upset Ben. I hope he gets better for you quickly! I'm glad you've had good results with the salt treatments for both guys. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Honestly, the only thing I changed was adding a heater and using the big bottle of Stress Coat instead of the small bottle. I have Ben in the 1g with 3in of water today, using aquasafe conditioner. He's swimming around, upset that he doesn't have enough water (I swear he's flipping me the fin). He finally ate today too, he hasn't in 3 days. The other day he was laying at the bottom of his tank, no interest in anything. Today he's Ben again, still has clamped fins but I have no heat in his tank :(

Hughie though, I caved today and fed him. He was looking so pathetic. He savagely took 2 bloodworms, like he hasn't ate in weeks. He is a bit skinny, and his upper portion of his body is bloated. He looks like a q-tip to me. He is still lively and wants to swim, just can't get away from the top of the tank :(
Old 07-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #8 
Sakura8

I'm glad Ben is back to his feisty self (haha he probably WAS giving you the fin-bird). It could take a day for Hughie to show some recovery signs. You can always bump up the epsom salt to 2 tsp per gallon if you wanted.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Poor little guy is trying his hardest to swim down today. He gobbled up some frozen brine tonight, I fed him with the syringe so it wouldn't sink on him. He acts like he's never been fed. *sigh*
Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Somehow they always manage to act like that, even right after a meal. Silly bettas. I bet Hughie loved his brine shrimp. Well, on the brighter side, it's somewhat easier to deal with SBD issues when they can float, not when they can't reach the surface.