Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

How's your guy doing? :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Still can't swim. He had a relapse after I transfered him to a bigger QT tank. I was stupid and forgot that I took out the epsom salt water so I didn't acclimate him and he got shocked. I felt soo bad watching him laying there breathing so hard. *sob* But he's eating still, just scoots around on his tail and occasionally bounces up so he can grab some air. That's why I named him Scooter.

Any change with Hughie?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

OK found my charger and got some pics! The water is high so I could get photos of him, it's now down to 2-3" so he can rest on the rocks. I wish this tank was much bigger, I just love it.

These were yesterday when he came home...

Video - Hughie Chasing Lighrs
Old 07-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #14 
Sakura8

He definitely has some SBD issues. It's not natural for them to be pressed right up against the top of the water like that. When my HM had shock-induced SBD, he was that same way, he'd be up against the top of the water like it was a ceiling. When he'd swim down and then float back up, he'd literally hit the top of the water. It was weird, like if the water hadn't ended there he would have just kept floating on up forever. I hope the epsom salts work soon, poor guy. He looks like he's pretty curious about what goes on around him, that's good. Has he tried eating yet?

Haha, I never thought about using a laser lighter to play with my betta, that's so cool!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

Its actually the light on my camera haha He loves it!

He ate 2 small freeze dried bloodworms this morning like they were his last meal. He had 4 Frozen Brine Shrimp tonight, I had to syringe feed him, they sink and he can't get to the bottom to chase them. So I squirted one at a time, slowly into his mouth. Wouldn't be the first pet I've had to hand feed with a syringe! He's very alert and curious and not flipping onto his back like he was at the store. Ammonia in his cup was 2ppm :( There was no plant with him.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Oh that's right, duh, now I remember you talking about feeding him the brine shrimp a few pages back. Good thing he has an appetite. And that's some high ammonia. :( Poor guy, I'm surprised he doesn't have some ammonia burns. If his SBD continues, you could get him one of those betta hammocks at Petsmart, he'd probably love one.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #17 
Pitluvs

We don't have a petsmart, but I did see them at our Pets Unlimited. I'll definitely look into one for him (annnd one for Ben, have to be fair). He doing ok with the lower water though, loves to sit in the rocks to take a nap. I hope whatever this is passes soon! I fed him just to give him soemthing in his system (like you did) to see if it will pass. Fingers crossed!

Oh! Does he look thin? And why are you the only one helping me out, of everyone on this forum lol I never see this post in the new posts link :(
Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #18 
Sakura8

He does look a little thin, definitely thinner than he should be, but not super emaciated, thank goodness. Food will definitely help him.

Haha, sometimes when one person repeatedly posts on one thread, others assume that person "has the situation under control" so to speak so they go somewhere else where they can help someone who isn't getting any help yet. Kind of like, uhm, posting triage or something. I know I've done that before, especially for posts that Oldfishlady has posted on - if anyone will "have a situation under control" it will be her. Or people may just not know how to help a particular situation so they don't post. Who knows?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #19 
Pitluvs

I figured for something so popular, everyone would be all over it and I'd be a mess trying to figure out who to listen to haha I am actually happy you responded, much simpler.

Well the way I look at it, venom and Carnage were sick and gone in 24h. It's been 48 for Ben and he's much better and it's been over 24h for Hughie and he's doing good. Not a whole lot better but not worst either. Thanks!

I upped his water to 1.5tsppg. I'll move him to 2tsppg if I see no improvement tomorrow night.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Sounds like a plan. I really am glad he's eating. A betta with no appetite is a definite sign of serious illness. I mean, they're always such little pigs so when they don't want to eat, that's just so wrong! How warm is the water? You could even try going up to 82-84* and see if that helps.