Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #21 
Pitluvs

I don't have any adjustable heaters.. the only ones I have are presets at 78F :( Actually it's so warm here, we don't have the heaters on (they don't turn on in the tank). Sucks. The only heaters locally that are small and adjustable are 50w, and that's too big for my 1gs.

Ben didn't eat for 3 days, you should have seen him go this morning at his pellets and brine shrimp!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #22 
Sakura8

I bet he was starving. Probably was all, "Wait, why wasn't I eating before, this stuff is goood!"

If it's that warm the heaters don't come on, then that's good, the temp is probably around 80-82* would be my guess.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #23 
Pitluvs

Oh ya, the tanks hover at 80F, they heaters only come on after water change (before betta are added in!).

You should have seen me tonight, I was so paranoid changing his water, thinking about the oopsie you did with Scooter. I have a bucket of AQ salt for Ben mixed and a bucket of Epsom salt for Hugie mixed too lol Enough for a few days.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #24 
Sakura8

O.O I'd be totally labeling those in big letters: Epsom for Hughie. AQ for Ben. I'm glad you didn't make my same mistake, it's scary when they get shocked like that. I was so freaked out. 'Course I tend to overreact to most situations, but still, when they start that heavy breathing and don't move, it's like they're at death's door. Brr, just glad Scooter pulled out of it this time. And I can promise you there won't be a next time, I'm going to be extra careful. Did Ben do okay after his water change? It was a water change that made him act funny, wasn't it?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #25 
Pitluvs

No no he was on the bottom of the tank for a day, so I did a water change early. Then he was still on the bottom so I took him out. I used AQ salt, figured that would be best in case there was an issue.After he got used to the water, he perked right up. I siphon water in and out of the tanks now, Ben likes it more.

I've been changing 75% of his water daily in the QT tank, not taking him out and he's doing great.

Don't worry, Ben's is in a cat food container and Hughie's is in a bucket.... I think... bahaha

Nah, I understand 100% with the shock thing... I'm still not right after loosing Venom and Carnage. I wish I could have them back :(
Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Yeah, I totally understand. They have such personality, you get so attached to them and that's what makes losing them so hard.

I usually try not to take my bettas out when I do water changes if I can help it. Only ones I definitely take out are the guys in my divided tank because I can't vacuum the gravel otherwise and my HM because he doesn't bother to move when the siphon comes close, unlike my other bettas who swim around, usually up high so I don't worry about them. My HM likes to rest on the bottom and watch the siphon get closer and closer . . .
Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #27 
Pitluvs

Ahh just like Ben...

"WHO is this impostor in my home! I must investigate, and proceed to attack him at low levels. Surely nothing will happen to me, Mom has the controls!" *Rolls Eyes*

Thankfully I only use a air hose. I'm so scared to use a divided tank :(
Old 07-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #28 
Sakura8

If you keep the water level lower, divided tanks are generally okay. I've only had a few incidents where my girl jumped over into the male's side but she just wanted to eat his bloodworms. And the one time one of my males jumped into another male's side, nothing happened. I think it's because the male who jumped is about as nonaggressove as a betta can get. He doesn't even know how to flare. So far no problems with any contagious illnesses either, but I always QT my bettas before putting them in divided tanks or sororities.

My girls swim up high and attack the siphon hose, it's funny. They nibble on my arms too and then they'll stare at all the gunk going up the hose and try to eat it.

*yawn* Well I'm going to do one last check on Scooter and then wander off to bed. I hope Hughie gets better overnight.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #29 
Pitluvs

I actually have divider blockers for jumpers :) It's not so much the jumping, it's just that Carnage and Venom shared a tank and things didn't go wonky until they did.

See...

I hope your Scooter does ok overnight! I expect to see some good news tomorrow morning :) Thanks for saving him! Night Sakura!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #30 
Pitluvs

Yay!! Hughie's swimming! I noticed tonight when I went to do tank changes, he popped up from the back of the tank and swam up to me. I swear he did a twirl.

I gave him more water, we'll wean off the salts tomorrow and add water as he gets strong. I am unsure how long he's been floating, floating belly up and not actually swimming. I noticed two big poo's in his tank too. I've been giving him 1tsp/gal epsom salts and live brine shrimp since he got here.

But Yay!

Hughie Swimming